Join now - be part of our community!

Batteries draining down to dead - on DSC-W17

Bawtree
Explorer

Batteries draining down to dead - on DSC-W17

We have two no: DSC-W17 cybershots cameras that have allways been looked after and well cared for.. 

to our extreme dissapointment we find that if we load them up with BRAND NEW Batteries or Full charged re-chargeable batt's both camera just drain all the life out of the batteries even thou the camaeras are effectivly switched off.  now apart for this issue they have permormed and worked very well ... (never been dropped of left in extreme temperature envioments ... just renderd usless because they drain down the batt's before we get a chance to use them... 

I find this suituation alarming because I am considering upgrading to yes a new version sony cybershoot for my wife and a New A7 for myself ... HOWEVER I don't want to purchase a sony only to find 5years down the road I can't use the bloody thing because it drains down the battares ... 

My question here is has anybody else suffered the same fate with cybershoot DSC-W17 or other sony cameras ... 

and next question is.... is there a cheep repair solution or software fix for the DSC-W17 or are these two great little cameras now HISTORY ... desite all the lovley care we gave them ? 

please email any usefull solution comments to 

[Edited to remove personal details]

1 REPLY 1

I had this problem about year ago with my w17. Fitted new batteries, switched on and it works for a few shots then the low battery warning icon comes up and the camera switches off 30 seconds later. The batteries are not flat, there is no way the batteries could drain that quickly without getting very hot or catching fire.

I think the camera has a failure date programmed into it like a lot other electronic goods. If it has a chip the manufacturers have ultimate control.