Join now - be part of our community!

Sony Vaio SVE1511C5E/SVE151C11M function keys not working

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
jallum1993
Visitor

Sony Vaio SVE1511C5E/SVE151C11M function keys not working

Hi,

I have a brand new laptop from sony, its product name is SVE1511C5E, and its model number is SVE151C11M.

The function keys are not working on it, such as the volume control buttons. Sony havent been very helpful with this, and its a brand new computer, Any ideas on what to do?

Regards

Jack

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi Jack,
It is normal for any notebook to have to hold down the Fn key before pressing the relevant special function key – otherwise you would be accessing the function of the standard key (F5, F6 etc.).
Rich 

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat

View solution in original post

23 REPLIES 23
profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi Jack,

The following are suggestions from Sony Support and are not specific to your model but do apply to most Vaios.

I can’t find your model listed on the Support site but similar models have precious little available in the way of original drivers and utilities.

“Special keys / hotkeys / Fn keys do not function

Most VAIO computers have a few additional special function keys, which are not controlled by the standard keyboard driver.

If these keys stop functioning, this is usually a problem related to VAIO Event Service.

Step 1:  click the Start button, type Services.msc and press Enter.
In the list of services, locate VAIO Event Service and verify that the service is started, and startup type is set to Automatic.

Step 2:  if step 1 did not solve it, or you could not locate VAIO Event Service in the list, you may need to reinstall VAIO Event Service.
This can be done through Start - VAIO Recovery Center - Reinstall Programs and Drivers.
If this option is not available, VAIO Event Service can also be downloaded from the Original Drivers section.

Step 3: in some cases, some additional related utilities also need to be reinstalled, in the same way as Step 2.  These are:

• Setting Utility Series
  • Sony Shared Library
  • VAIO Event Service
  • VAIO Control Center
  • Also, if you have      installed your own OS, the SFEP driver needs to be correctly installed in      Device Manager for some models.  If applicable, you will find this      driver in the Original Drivers section.

If nothing above helps then post back and we will see whether someone from Support can located the correct drivers and utilities.

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
jallum1993
Visitor

Hi,

Step 1- The service is enabled and it is set to automatic.

Step 2- I cant find it on the VAIO recovery centre list, and when I go onto the website, it will not accept my model number as being correct, even though it is. My product name is SVE1511C5E, and my model number is SVE151C11M. It will accept neither of these and i have tried dozens of times. Also, my model is not on the list of original drivers page at all.

Step 3- I cant see any of these pieces of software in the VAIO recovery centre apart from VAIO control center.

I will be sending this laptop back along with a serious complaint about the fact that none of the function keys work. It is ridiculous that a brand new laptop from Sony should arrive with this problem. Couple that with the fact that the Sony website does not even recognise that my model exists and it gets even worse!!!

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi Jack,
I think the reason your model (SV-E1511C5E) is not recognised is that it is a configurable model. This is no excuse for drivers and utilities not being available for download but if you want us to try and find a solution then post back – if you are intent on returning the unit then there is little point in us perusing this with Support...
As the notebook is new then a reset to factory defaults should not cause you too many problems (loss of data etc.) and, in theory, should solve the problem. Tap F10 at boot to enter Vaio Recovery Center.
Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
jallum1993
Visitor

Hi,

I have finally fathomed a way to get the function keys to work. I have to first press the Fn button next to the windows key, then whilst still holding that I have to press the relevant function key. Although this should still not cause any issues for me in terms of usage, I am very angry that Sony appear to say that if you build your own system, they won't give you the proper drivers for it. To not have them available for download anywhere is appalling. This needs to be rectified by sony as soon as possible.

If you have any suggestions that would mean I don't have to return the item and dont have to press the Fn key (is there any reason why this works?), then I would be more than willing to listen. I am just upset that i paid voer £530 for this laptop for it to not work properly.

Regards

Jack

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi Jack,
It is normal for any notebook to have to hold down the Fn key before pressing the relevant special function key – otherwise you would be accessing the function of the standard key (F5, F6 etc.).
Rich 

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
jallum1993
Visitor

Hi,

I have had three notebooks before, from three different manufacturers, and NONE of them have needed me to hold down the Fn button before pressing the relevant Function key, hence why I didn't try it until this morning. I assume therefore this is purely a sony thing to hold down the Fn button?

Regards

Jack

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

This is certainly not restricted to Sony Vaio. In addition to a number of Sony notebooks we also have a Dell an HP and a Toshiba in the house – all require the Fn key to be pressed before the special function key.
Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
al081079
Visitor

hi how do you install the SFEP driver into the device manager ?

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi al081079,

This is only usually necessary if you have installed your own OS and if so you may find a yellow warning symbol for the device in Device Manage. If so the driver will need to be updated/installed from within Device Manager using the ‘Have Disk’ method:

Extract the files from the installation package to a known location.
Click Start > Control Panel.
Double click Device Manager.
Right click the device and select Properties
Click the Driver tab.
Click Update Driver.
Click Browse my computer for driver software.
Click Let me pick from a list...
Click Have Disk....
Click Browse and navigate to the folder where you placed the extracted files.
Click OK.
Click Next.
Click Finish.
Reboot your system if requested.

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat