Join now - be part of our community!

Xperia 1 III 5G Question ?

profile.country.GB.title
NINJATHEORY
Explorer

Xperia 1 III 5G Question ?

Hello all I'm really tempted to purchase the Xperia 1 III as my mate owns it and I had a play with it I'm shocked at how smooth and snappy it is. As I've been a hardcore Samsung Note user for over a decade i need something answered before i make the purchase..

If i go into 5G network mode in developer options on my Note 20 Ultra it allows me to select NSA Mode, SA Mode, or SA+NSA Mode I've got it set on SA+NSA Mode on my Note 20 Ultra 5G Snapdragon see this phone is an import from Malaysia

Today i was parked up in the Tesco car park while my phone was connected to 5G with full bars, My mates Sony wasn't we are both are on the same network it's 3 UK network and it was downloading few hundred meg file like 40 seconds + while mine would do it in a few seconds same URL used on both phones. Please also note when the Sony is connected to 5G it's fast 900+ download speed but a few times i have noticed while I'm connected to 5G the Sony isnt also i went into dev options on the Sony you don't offer SA mode or NSA Mode or SA+NSA Mode together so my question is does the Sony not offer this option ? is it lacking hardware ? it's a Snapdragon CPU i checked the specs i couldn't find it ? Will Sony offer this down the road with an update ? Thanks

4 REPLIES 4
profile.country.IT.title
Marino.Manolo
Genius

Maybe, in that precise position the 5G Band was n29, not compatible with Xperia 1 III Bands...

Xperia 1 III 5G BAND:

https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/smartphones/xperia-1m3/specifications

n1, n3, n5, n7, n8, n20, n28, n38, n40, n41, n77, n78

Three Network Frequency Bands:

https://3g.co.uk/guides/what-frequencies-does-three-network-use

profile.country.GB.title
NINJATHEORY
Explorer

@Marino.ManoloThanks for the response i see what you're saying it makes sense but i came across this post on Reddit https://www.reddit.com/r/SonyXperia/comments/u2ubjq/xperia_1_iii_5g_sa_capability/ the only way to enable all bands is rooting the phone this is ridiculous Sony how can i escalate this to Sony dev team ? if i have to root and void my warranty and lose my DRM keys Sony really my Galaxy Note that came out in 2020 offers full bands while the Sony Xperia 1 III came out in 2021 does not offer full bands. So how do i escalate this ? i don't want a half-ass phone sorry for my french!

profile.country.GB.title
Gilgameshuk
Contributor

Hey all long old schooler im back

I have the 1 iii and ALSO on 3 uk network. 

I  run speeds tests and in the same  area it can vary. The fastest I  have had it  in the centre  of Bradford  is 490 Mb/s

where  i am i get 240 Mb/.s

now to throw you a  REAL large curveball and it will  prove my point in a moment.

I have GIGABIT yes  GIGABIT Internet  speeds via BRSK my providor on my PC  (admittedly wired to the  router) I  get 945 Mb/s

But connect via  wifi on my phone i get 458 Mb/s and yes  I am aware that i will  get slower speeds witth it being wifi rather than a wired connection but only 458 Mb/s when  im  stood right next to the router?

I think 5  g connectivity and in general the WIFI card on this phone is its weak point

Gilgamesh the first ONE and ONLY King
profile.country.GB.title
NINJATHEORY
Explorer

@GilgameshukThanks it seems like you have misunderstood my post. Sony is not offering all bands and hardware support, due to this the phone is half ass sorry for my French. Also on my NoteScreenshot_20230325_083106_Speedtest.jpg 20 ultra SnapDragon CPU I've hit 1200+ meg download speed, please note this was over 5G Network Those days of wired are faster are long gone hardware is perfectly capable of competing with wired even your home router can achieve 1GIG+ That's if you know how to correctly setup the router and bands anyway thanks for your help I'm going to wait 6 days as Sony is launching the Xperia 1 MK V I will check the specs if it's still missing bands and features ill be looking somewhere else for my next phone or if I do pick it up I will have to root it but that's such a pain once you root it you can't do OTA updates you have to manually flash firmware which breaks the root so you have to reroot it a pure headache thanks