Join now - be part of our community!

Sony Xperia 5 4K video recording - stuttering

profile.country.SK.title
mfoldes
Explorer

Sony Xperia 5 4K video recording - stuttering

Hello.

Why Sony does not fix stuttering video recorded in 4K?

My old XZ1 can this without any problems, but 800 EUR expensive Xperia 5 does not!

I am really very frustrated. I wasted my money.

I have this phone from September 2020. I made software repair by Xperia Companion, but with same results. The problem is also still in Android 11.

Android 10

55.1.A.6.101

Android 11

55.2.A.0.630

11 REPLIES 11
profile.country.GB.title
EMS_MO72
Community Team

Did you face this issue before the Android 11 update? and if yes, nothing changed after the update ?

profile.country.SK.title
mfoldes
Explorer

Yes, the problem was same with Android 10 firmwares. How I know from other web forums in my country, the other people have same problems, but they quietly accepting it.

profile.country.CZ.title
MxIRay
Explorer

I've faced similar problem. It wasn't just stuttering it was outright frame dropping. Instead of 24FPS it was choppy as if it was 10FPS at best. This problem was even before Android 11 update. But as I'm not filming that much, I didn't make too much of a deal out of it.

profile.country.GB.title
EMS_MO72
Community Team

I believe you should contact Sony regarding this matter to be able to advise if the device needs to be repaired for example for this issue.

profile.country.SK.title
mfoldes
Explorer

After many months this defect still not fixed. Problem is with Sony Camera application. Recording with Sony Cinema Pro is fine, but unfortunatelly it does not support capturing without HDR and automatic ISO.

Im am very frustrated, because 2 years software support is near ending.

profile.country.GB.title
Preytheon

Just a suggestion, but are the the two software apps both recording to the same onboard storage? (or is the stuttering one recording to an SD card?)

profile.country.GB.title
Lord_viridis
Expert

Just what I was about to ask, 

Is the stuttering recording, recording to internal or SD?

profile.country.SK.title
mfoldes
Explorer

I don't have SD card in phone, so it is recording on internal storage. Very interesting thing is, if I tried record video with main camera (x1) with HDR, and the video was smooth. If I disabled HDR, the record is stuttering.

profile.country.GB.title
Lord_viridis
Expert

That is odd, you'd think that the higher bitrate of HDR would cause the stutter more.