Join now - be part of our community!

Sony Xperia 5 iv - 1 new unread message won't disappear on icon?!

profile.country.GB.title
DavidH41
Explorer

Sony Xperia 5 iv - 1 new unread message won't disappear on icon?!

Hi All,

For the past couple of months, I've been having a 1 on the Message app icon, that I cannot seem to get rid of. 

I've checked everywhere, I've got no new unread message. I restarted phone, marked all messages "as read" in the app, but nothing seems to clear this 1 new unread message

I tried all I can think of, including all from the below site...

https://www.technobezz.com/

fix-android-device-showing-unread-sms-messages/

Can anyone help provide a solution that actually works?

Thanks in advance

11 REPLIES 11
Piscie
Community Team

Hey @DavidH41, have you tried clearing the messages app cache (Settings - Applications - All apps - Scroll down to Messages app - Storage - Clear cache & data - Force stop), then force restart your phone (press and hold power and volume+ at the same time) and check again. Hope this works.

profile.country.GB.title
DavidH41
Explorer

@Piscie , yes I have tried this already, but no such luck.... But I tried again after I read your reply just to make sure, and still not sorted

profile.country.GB.title
jumpsuit
Expert

Hi @DavidH41 and welcome to the Community :slight_smile:

There are a few other threads on this forum regarding this and 

unfortunately we haven't been able to solve this puzzle.

One other suggestion after trying all the above was to get someone to message you and after opening that message it may  clear the the message icon, however someone tried this and it didn't work for them.

My wife has this problem on her Xperia and the dot on the message icon does disappear randomly then reappear.

I can't honestly remember if anyone tried a factory reset or not, however this would seem like using a sledgehammer to crack a peanut, especially if the problem reoccurs afterwards. Hopefully another member may hold the key to unlock this door for us. 

profile.country.GB.title
DavidH41
Explorer

@jumpsuit I could possibly try a factory reset at the weekend when I have more time, and let you know the results.... The other theory with having someone message you didn't work for me either.

Thanks 👍

profile.country.GB.title
jumpsuit
Expert

Hi @DavidH41  :slight_smile:

Thanks for trying, it really is a puzzle.

I honestly wouldn't bother factory resetting just for this, its probably more bother than its worth.

(Especially if it starts again after any reset.)

profile.country.GB.title
DavidH41
Explorer

It's ok, I've been made redundant and finish tomorrow, so I have a little free time on my hands 🙃

profile.country.GB.title
jumpsuit
Expert

Oh jeeez, I'm really sorry to hear that.

Hope things get better for you soon! 

Piscie
Community Team

Hey @DavidH41 keep us updated with the results of the factory reset, hopefully it will fix the problem.

profile.country.GB.title
DavidH41
Explorer

@Piscie , @jumpsuit 

The factory reset did the trick. But seeing as I'm a proper d***head, I backed up everything apart from my photos because I thought it was automatically done on Google photos (turns out you have to turn it on for each folder!!!)