Join now - be part of our community!

Xperia 5 Fingerprint Manager missing from settings

DanSan48
New

Xperia 5 Fingerprint Manager missing from settings

Hi

Recently I've encountered problems with my fingerprint manager. Since the update it has completely gone from my settings menu on my Xperia 5. I spoke to someone from the team and they suggested backing up my phone and software repairing my phone. This didn't help one bit. And also erased everything without it backing up. Has anyone else experienced this with the fingerprint manager?

47 REPLIES 47
profile.country.GB.title
Hal9thousand
Explorer

Yes, working fine.

profile.country.GB.title
Ollsbols

I got fed up waiting for a software update that never seemed to arrive. So I put in a warranty claim and sent it back to Sony. Sensor was found to be faulty (not software). It was replaced and phone returned. Took about 3 days in total. Works a treat. Very happy.

Repair service in the UK was very good. Very quick, good updates. Quick to get through on the phone. Online updates and tracking very good.

I wonder if Sony should have put out a recall on this phone?

profile.country.GB.title
quantumpeep
Explorer

Like so many others here (wow 4 pages and counting says everything) exactly the same problem and occured in the same circumstances ie after an update in Spring. Read all the things here - and Sony suggestions - and yes have tried: 1) rebooting, 2) forced reboot, 3) clearing security options and restarting, 4) clearing app cache, 5) checking in safe mode, 6) updates that didn't solve the issue, 7) got excited by YT instant fix claims but discovered methods applied to older/non Android, etc, etc. Sadly the reality has dawned on me it's the dreaded reset is the answer; that or the scanner itself is faulty. Frustratingly I cannot run a fingerprint scanner test as I need to register a fingerprint - obviously all lost when the scanner disappeared so not recognised! Talk about viscious cycle. Sending in for a repair under warranty means it will be reset so.... So the solution to this appears to be the inconvenience of having to restore everything or the operating without the scanner. I have always been a loyal Sony customer but come next upgrade I think Sony will have a huge PR issue selling new models given cucstomers' experiences and failure to fix a core feature on expensive purchases.

profile.country.GB.title
Ollsbols

Yes it is a pain. Just bite the bullet and send it in for a repair whilst you still have a warranty left. In fairness they also found some issues I didn't know I had, so they replace the screen and they replaced the whole bottom module (speaker, USB and Mic) as they found some issues there. So have to give credit where its due. Its almost a new phone and good to go for another 2 years (as I am not sure I can stomach the massive price increases of new phones). 

A reset isn't a bad thing to clear out some digital crud from your life.

profile.country.GB.title
quantumpeep
Explorer

Yeah that's been my logical conclusion too even though it will have a massive impact on my private/work capacity. If I can ask how long did it take in total (days) from sending to return please? Did they end up wiping the phone? Cheers thanks for your response.

profile.country.RU.title
arutyun-akopov

I bought an Xperia 5 and have been using it for half a year. After that, the fingerprint sensor broke. Under the guarantee, the phone was repaired 3 times. On 3 attempts, they were able to fix it, replacing almost everything except the case and the battery. Each time I waited 45 days. I couldn't use my phone for about 4 months.  Then they scratched my phone. I wrote to Sony and they decided to give me a new phone. I got a new phone and I was very happy.  It took 2 weeks, the lock button began to crackle.  And a week later, an update to android 11 was released, which maked the speakers began to crack. I could not determine the reason for the crackle and I gave the phone back for repair under warranty. After 4 weeks, the phone came back with new software and there was no more crackling from the speakers. But I was so annoyed by the crunch of the screen lock button that I just sold the phone cheaper than I bought it and bought a phone of a different brand.  I'm already afraid to buy devices from Sony.  The price is high, the quality of the devices is poor.

profile.country.GB.title
Ollsbols

@quantumpeep I wiped the phone before I sent it. That would be the best policy for security. You should assume they will wipe it anyway.

I backed up my SMSs', photos etc. I use Outlook.com so my emails don't need backing up.

It took about 4 days in total. I was very pleased with the service. They give you a ref number and you can track repair progress on the web and it outlines what they have found and what they are doing to repair the phone.

They are really easy to contact on the phone and very helpful.

The main pain for me is that I go into the settings -> apps and disable ALL the Google, Facebook, Youtube and other bloat stuff. That is the bit that takes the longest for me when setting my phone up again.

DONT FORGET YOUR GOOGLE ACCOUNT LOGIN DETAILS.

profile.country.GB.title
Ollsbols

@arutyun-akopov 45 days each time. YIKES!!! Only 4 days here in the UK. Mine was fixed first time and has been brilliant ever since. Sony outsource their repairs. So you must let them know if the company they use is performing badly as Sony will have a contract with a service level agreement. I cannot imagine 45 days and 3 attempts is within the SLA.

profile.country.RU.title
arutyun-akopov

It is normal for Russia. Consumer Protection Law in Russia says that Manufacturer can repair phone up to 45 days. And if they can't repair it multiple times more than 3 months , you can get new phone or get money back. This is a stupid law, but this is the reality in Russia. And you can't call to service center for explanation of problem, because the warranty service center for phones with ip68 protection has only in Moscow city. 10 years ago everything was good. My Xperia Z1 Compact was repaired in 7 days, a master called me when started repairing. Now Russia is not the main market for sony

profile.country.GB.title
quantumpeep
Explorer

*****!!?? 😮😬🤯