Join now - be part of our community!

Xperia 5 one hand mode not working

cycad
Visitor

Xperia 5 one hand mode not working

I have enabled the one hand mode. When I double tap as instructed, nothing happens. I restarted the phone still the same. Anything else I missed? Thanks

7 REPLIES 7
Martin1
Enthusiast

Hi @cycad, let me see if I can help out here.

Where exactly on the screen are you double tapping? In order to use the one handed mode you are supposed to double tap on the home button in the bottom of the screen, this action will reduce the screen display area. 

One thing that you can try is to clear the data for the app handling the one-handed mode. This will reset all settings for the app which might do the trick. Find and tap Settings > Apps & notifications > Show all XX apps > Tap the menu icon (Three vertical dots) in the top right corner > Tap Show system > One-handed mode > Storage > Clear data > Tap "OK" > Restart the phone.

Try this and let me know how it goes!  

cycad
Visitor

Thanks for responding. I double tap the bottom home button. Nothing happens. After following the steps you recommended, still the same nothing happens except that the phone kept restarting (3x already) on it own saying Sim card not detected. Please further advise. 

Martin1
Enthusiast

Hi again @cycad and thank you for the quick reply!

That sounds a bit strange, Could you possibly try rebooting your phone in safe mode to see if the one-handed mode works there? All apps downloaded from Play Store is temporarily deactivated while in safe mode and by doing this, you can see if this behaviour is caused by a downloaded app. For more information on safe mode and how to use it, click here.

If the one-handed mode still do not work while in safe mode, I would suggest that you try to perform a software repair using Xperia Companion and a computer. Keep in mind though that a software repair will erase all user data from the phone, so if it is advised to have your personal data backed up to your Google account.

Let me know how it goes!

cycad
Visitor

Found the problem. The one hand mode cannot be used when magnification is on. The OS should prompt this. I remember Samsung Galaxy's oneUI does caution the user. 

Regarding the 3x rebooting, I'm still nervous about it since I don't know where or what has triggered it. 🙄

Martin1
Enthusiast

I am glad that you managed to sort it out, @cycad! That is a new one even for me. Slightly_smiling_Face It is a great suggestion that I will forward internally as feedback. 

Regarding the 3x rebooting, Is the phone still saying that the SIM is not detected or has the error message gone away?

cycad
Visitor

Ya the 3x rebooting stated that the Sim card cannot be detected. So far no occurrence. Fingers crossed. 

Martin1
Enthusiast

That is a relief, @cycad. Keep me posted if it happens again!