Join now - be part of our community!

2015 Android TV - Blank Screen issue

Anonymous
Not applicable

2015 Android TV - Blank Screen issue

Hi all

Im creating a breakaway thread for this particular issue -away from the general chatter thread. 

In a nutshell, Sony require more information from the community in order to diagnose and ultimately find a solution.

Questions:

1. What model TV does this occur on
  2. Does it happen on certain connected devices or just viewing tv (Freeview)
  3. If so, what devices (make/model) and how is it connected to the TV.
  4. What other devices do you have connected to the TV - HDMI or ?
  5. Have you identified a pattern for when this happens or is it seemingly random

I know some of you have answered this before, so appologies - the more people that can provide information, the quicker and more likely it can be resolved.

Thanks all.

85 REPLIES 85
Denbmur
Explorer

I have a Sony KD-49X8309C

It seems to have a mind of its own, and for no reason, although normally when switching from Sky to TV, the screen goes blank, but the sound continues.  The only way I can clear it is by unplugging it and restrating the TV.

I have connections to Sky via HDMI, freeview, via Arial, and DVD recorder via Scart

Can anyone suggest a reson for thsi?

Edited: Removed advertising from bottom of post.

profile.country.sl_SI.title
Komparko
Explorer

Here're the symptoms from a TV set from country Slovenia:

1. What model TV does this occur on: KD-55X8507C, bought 11.11.2015, updated FW to 2.637
  2. Does it happen on certain connected devices or just viewing tv (Freeview) - Just viewing digital FullHD broadcast TV signal.
  3. If so, what devices (make/model) and how is it connected to the TV. None
  4. What other devices do you have connected to the TV - HDMI or ? No devices connected to HDMi, just Connax module, Cable TV signal, no SAT, Microsoft wireless keyboard (USB dongle), Gigabit wired Ethernet
  5. Have you identified a pattern for when this happens or is it seemingly random. The TV became unresponsive by showing a message "Application Channel stopped working" (in Slovenian text the stopped application was named 'Kanal)'. After that the TV does not respond to remote control commands (e.g. Channel +/-, Volume +/-, Guide, Home). Pressing the Power button on remote for a few seconds just switches off the picture, the sound is still coming from the speakers. Also the power button on the rear of TV does not switch the TV off, the power cord needs to be plugged out. After such drastic switch off the TV typically reports "Application Play stopped working" a few minutes after power on (during the preparation of recommendations).

Best regards, Marko

philjwade

Text of my recent email to Sony Support - very basic issues that should never happen!!

My recent purchase (27/11/15) of a KD49X8305C TV has been a bit of a disappointment; after 30 years of having various Sony TV’s and other products this is the first one that has failed to deliver 100% satisfaction. The picture and overall design is stunning but is spoilt by a very buggy operating software. After the initial set up and update to version 5.1.1 I have had to reset to factory settings twice as everything has just frozen. I have also had to do several power-off at the socket to enable the simple process of just switching off the TV to go to bed. This of course cycles the TV through a reboot before you can actually switch off using the remote!

My set up is nothing special:

• Sony HT-IS100 amp connected by HDMI to the TV HDMI 1 port.
  • Sky+HD connected to the amp via HDMI and enabled for HDMI control
  • Sony BDP-S780 connected to the amp
  • TV connected to the amp by optical to play the sound through the amp when watching digital TV

All the Sony kit is Bravia Sync enabled and can be seen on the TV inputs list. My Sky HD remote is also paired with the TV so it can adjust the audio and switch the TV on & off.

Since the last factory reset on Sunday night I have not set up any of the apps and not re-enabled YouView, just to make sure the basic TV viewing and operation works as expected.

All seemed to be OK, until randomly after watching from the Sky HD box it was not possible to switch to digital TV using the TV remote – that is nothing happened (the TV button on the remote is assigned to switch to digital) – a power-off was required to get back to a working condition and to view digital.

As mentioned earlier the simple process of just switching off the TV has been problematic – on several occasions it has just gone to a “grey” screen, or a dark screen but with stuff still lit up when you look in the back of the TV! I have tried holding the on/off button down for an extended period as this is supposed to force a reboot – it has worked on a couple of occasions. When it has not worked I have had to do the power-off!

Today while viewing the “About” menu in Settings to check what software version it was on the TV randomly switched itself off and I could not switch it back on with the remote, so again I had to power it off to get it to reboot.

Unless you can assure me that all steps are being taken to roll-out stable operating software ASAP I will have to consider returning this TV for a refund as currently it is not fit for purpose.

Nibor99

Me as well!!

KD43X8309CBU

Sound enhanced using Canton sound base, linked optically.

98% of viewing is on Virgin Tivo (HDMI 2)

It is currently happening on average 1 - 2 times per week

Only way to shut down (without unplugging from mains - switch not easily accessable) is to scroll down to "about" / restart and go through the whole rigmarole of a soft reboot - and then close it with the remote.

As my wife usually stays up to watch TV long after I have gone to bed I am not amused at being dragged from my slumbers to switch it off!! - and my wife would not be at all happy going through the whole procedure herself - and why should she have to?!!!!  - It is 2015 - how hard can it be to build and sell a TV you can reliably switch off??!!

It is not only my wife that has had this problem - on occasions when I have tried to switch it off it has happened to me.

As the TV is on from mid afternoon to late evening the issue mainly happens on shutdown after watching TV via Tivo.

HTH to further the cause.

Govindrlohiya
Explorer

1. TV Model - KD49X8005C (Bought a week ago. Software updated. Google cast updated to 1.16.45911)
  2. Only when I try to cast anything from my laptop. Casting youtube from laptop works fine. 
  3. I am casting it from my laptop.
  4. None
  5. No pattern. Any tab I want to cast will mute the sound on laptop. The tv screen goes black as if it will play the video any time. The tab gets blue cat icon on it. When I click on the google cast app on laptop browser the tv is not connected but the cast logo on the tab is still blue. If I cast another tab at the same time same thing repeats.
GrafDal
Explorer

Questions:

1. What model TV does this occur on: Sony KD 49 X 8307 CSAEP
  2. Does it happen on certain connected devices or just viewing tv (Freeview): different devices - Netflix and Sky
  3. If so, what devices (make/model) and how is it connected to the TV. App Netflix, Sky Box 
  4. What other devices do you have connected to the TV - HDMI or ? only Sky Box
  5. Have you identified a pattern for when this happens or is it seemingly random: Nearly every day with the 1st start. Only restart Android System helps
Tags (1)
jadeee

1. What model TV does this occur on - KDL-50W755C
  2. Does it happen on certain connected devices or just viewing tv (Freeview) - Happens at turn on mainly
  4. What other devices do you have connected to the TV - HDMI or ? Sony Multi Channel Reciever STR DH510, Humax HDR Freesat, USB stick, LAN cable
  5. Have you identified a pattern for when this happens or is it seemingly random - didnt happen before Oct update, now I have to power off TV probably once every 4 times it is turned on. I have also noticed that sometimes it reboots itself - the white light under the TV goes off and it reboots with the Sony logo, coloured dots and Android logo.

My worry is the TV is new - I can imagine in a years time Sony will not want to know about the product and it will be unusable.

What are Sony's legal requirement to keep the TV operating to a satisfactory level?

The upgrade also removed the ability to reserve programs on freeview - sureley this should be classified as a bug too - it was there before the upgrade.

I do feel if this buggy software updates continues I will seriously think about sending back to Argos as `not fit for purpose' and requesting an exchange to a different product.

dchalkers
Explorer

There are absolutly no Sony forums over the other side of the pond (Australia) so created an account to post here guys.

I too am having this issue atleast once a week and end up holding down the power button on the remote for 10 seconds to reboot.

Questions:

1. What model TV does this occur on?
    KDL-75X8500C (I belive its the same model as your KDL-75X850C)
    PKG3.017.0080PAB (Support Twin Picture)

2. Does it happen on certain connected devices or just viewing tv (Freeview)?
    Turning this TV on first thing in the morning (Digital TV)

-

4. What other devices do you have connected to the TV - HDMI or ?
    HDMI 3 - Xbox One
    HDMI 4 - Sony Blu Ray Player
    Headphone Out - 2.0 Stereo Speakers (Under Settings, Line Level Out, Fixed Volume)

5. Have you identified a pattern for when this happens or is it seemingly random.
    I believe it may have something to do with the length of time the TV remains in standby for. Turning the TV off around 11:30pm-12:00am at night and back on around 7:30am-8:00am.
philjwade

Had an email from Sony today asking me to rate the Android TV (LOL)........ well they got my reply. 1 Star.

Hard copy mail to: 

Sony Europe Limited - Head Office UK
The Heights, Brooklands, Weybridge, Surrey
KT13 0XW, United Kingdom

Attention at a higher level is required rather than just the back-office support muppets.

Edited - Drewde

Email address removed

jain236

i have the same mode and seen this issues quite a few time.. i have done new update yesterday.. let see how it goes... i am just in 1 week of my TV...