Join now - be part of our community!

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

NickCo1979

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

I thought I'd create a generic thread to cover off the issues being encountered on the 2015 Bravia Android TVs. I've listed my issues below with fixes / workarounds and responses from support. All comments and solutions welcome!

1) Hot Swap HDMI doesn't work - manifested by no input on HDMI channels 2, 3 and 4 on the KD-49X8305C. Workaround - reset the TV, either by holding down the remote power button for 5 seconds or by switching the TV off at the wall and then back on again. Further details on this thread: https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/kd-49x8305c-hdmi-2-3-4-inputs-not-working/td-p/1944435

2) HDD Recording doesn't work - error message states a system update is required but none is available when checking. Hopefully this will be fixed soon by a firmware update.

3) Netflix App doesn't work - this seems like the app has been deliberately disabled. So far a support case has only recommended that a factory reset be performed (took two days to get to that cracking piece of advice.....), with no improvement as a result. A temporary (albeit for advanced users only) workaround is provided by MikeLothian on this thread - https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/netflix-support-for-kd55x8509c-android-tv/td-p/1945360 

4) Sound lag and performance issues after the TV (KD-49X8305C) has been on standby for a while - manifested for me as stuttering and sound / picture sync issues in all apps (youtube, amazon instant video etc) and HDMI sources (PS4, seperate YouView box etc). Hopefully this will be fixed in a firmware update, at the moment workarounds involve either changing channels to get the sync to work or in my case having to turn the TV off and then on again at the socket.

As stated previously, all comments welcome. Personally I'm willing to give Sony a couple of weeks to fix this, but if it's not done soon I'll be sending my new TV back for a refund as it's not really fit for purpose.

6,373 REPLIES 6,373
scoopy6

ajenki75, thank you that is all good stuff.

Re. PVR functions, you said '...I am not convinced yet that Sony will modify the EPG to support "PVR functions.."

but at Currys the specs for SONY BRAVIA KD55X8509C include 'DVB-T2 Freeview HD Tuner x 2'.

I believe there would be little point in 2 Freeview tuners without at least 'watch one channel and record another, so perhaps there could also be a more useful PVR function, which after all has been offered by e.g. Samsung for years. I must say that, on that basis, we might be excused for assuming that 'recording' meant 'PVR' .

In contrast, X8309C is said to have only 'DVB-T2 Freeview HD Tuner' (terrestrial) but makes no mention of the two (satellite) tuners DV-S (?) which our example has (in Uk).

For us the the satellite tuner and number of USBs and Hdmis were certainly also worthwhile features but recording (PVR) was something we really wanted (while recording has itself been re-scheduled/delayed), rather than YouView.

49X8309C in uk

I have 60 days left to return this to JL (90 day return). By then hopefully i will find out if i can pause live TV with the youview update. This is more important than recording to me. I can get most things on catch up these days. Pause and rewind is what i really want. I wonder if Samsung support this?

SDCEGavster

All worrying reading.. still.

I have another issue to the ones I've already mentioned and just wondering if anyone else is experiencing this.

Current set-up:

KD-55X8507

Humax Freesat HD Box

PS3

Sony STR-DA5300ES 7.1 channel AV receiver

All I've recently done is replace my TV.

I am not using the built-in tuners.

Problems:

1. I can no longer control the volume with my Humax remote control for HD channels. (Much to my wife's annoyance)

2. Cannot view a DVD/Blu-ray on HDMI1 via my PS3 without changing inputs via the on screen interface, multiple times... I get audio at first but no video.

3. Volume levels vastly differ for standard and HD channels (via Humax box)

4. HDMI2 would no longer receive a picture from my Humax box after a software update.

I'll be performing a reset tonight I think....

anjenki75

Re: tuners, I agree we should get more, I just am not counting on it! Twin tuner is useful for watching one channel at the same time as another, but that doesn't mean it has to integrate with the EPG necessarily. Only that you can change the channel without interrupting the recording. I've not had a TV with recording before, I assumed it would mean proper PVR functions, but from what I have read recently it seems that TVs typically do not let you use the twin tuners to record 2 shows at once. That is at least one way in which the TV implementation does not match what a PVR does, and hence I am not making any more assumptions!

Here's the cryptic reply I got from customer services on 8th July when I asked them about how recording would work once YouView was available:

"In regards to your enquiry, please note that YouView does not allow you to record and you will not be able to record from it.

However, please note that so far we can confirm that you will be able to watch a channel and record from another channel."

What does that even mean, anyway? I tried to get some clarification but they didn't reply. My inference is that, to Sony, YouView means the EPG and/or catchup functions. So at first I thought they were saying "no you can't record iPlayer content". But then the FAQ was updated to say that USB recording would not be available if you choose to use YouView, and the hands-on review from What Hi-Fi mentioned something similar, i.e. that they would like to add PVR functions in the future. So I really have no idea what they mean.

anjenki75

"1. I can no longer control the volume with my Humax remote control. (Much to my wife's annoyance)"

Which model? Humax boxes tend not to support CEC in my experience, my last two (HDR-T2 and DTR-T2100) have controlled the TV volume directly via infra-red, and so required the relevant TV code to be entered into the remote. If you've changed your TV then of course it is likely that you'll need to enter a new code.

If it uses CEC then you might be out of luck, I have found the CEC support to be very buggy. My issues have been related to input switching and controlling remote functions over CEC; the TV seems to control the receiver volume fine.

scoopy6

On the phone, Sony Customer Support confirmed the following specs and details from the page 

http://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/televisions/x8300c-series/specifications

They also confirmed that timed recording, set from a 7 day EPG, and watch one channel and record another will be available, and hinted that they have a date for the internal beta, which is not for public release, but that was reassuring.

Sony KD-49X8309C: (et al)

(XD Reality-Pro Yes)
Built in Tuners: Twin tuner (T2/S2/C2) Yes: DVB-T (digital terrestrial), DVB-T2 (digital terrestrial), DVB-S (digital satellite), DVB-S2 (digital satellite), DVB-C (digital cable), CI+, Analog

USB HDD REC

Turn your TV into a digital recorder: USB HDD REC

Store your favourite TV shows on an external USB hard disk drive to enjoy whenever you want.

USB HDD REC allows one-touch and timer recording of a digital broadcast onto any USB HDD device up to 2TB in capacity. While viewing the show, simply press REC to start recording, which will automatically stop at the end of the programme.

Notes. This feature will be available via a firmware update within 2015. NOTE: HDD recording (REC) and Satellite features are not available if YouView functionality is enabled. YouView on Sony TVs will offer consumers a consistent and easy to use YouView experience, including scroll back, search, discover and catch up TV (BBC iPlayer, ITV Player, All 4 and Demand 5). YouView functionality includes access to all the normal free-to-air channels via the YouView guide and mini guide.

Really, it will soon be a nice tele!

PS. They said the YouView upgrade date will be 29th of September

PPS. @trickytree1984 there are the usual recording buttons with pause and rewind on the remote and reckon those functions can also reasonably be expected.

49X8309C in uk
SDCEGavster

@anjenki75 wrote:

"1. I can no longer control the volume with my Humax remote control. (Much to my wife's annoyance)"

Which model? Humax boxes tend not to support CEC in my experience, my last two (HDR-T2 and DTR-T2100) have controlled the TV volume directly via infra-red, and so required the relevant TV code to be entered into the remote. If you've changed your TV then of course it is likely that you'll need to enter a new code.

Thanks for the info. 

It's a Humax FOXSAT-HDR Freesat+ 320GB HD Digital TV Twin Tuner HD Recorder, from 2010.

I guess I'll have to look in to the TV Code...

Thanks 

scoopy6

@DaM3k0n

You said 'in exchange for what?' and that is indeed the main thing.

Most people appreciate the first class picture, and sound, as we do and found there was no need for a sound bar or home theatre, and happily we have not experienced the glitches reported here. We are still optimistic that recording features will be added soon, and especially that they will be the ones we wanted.

So far the best thing about Android is that Kodi can be installed, and that it can be controlled by a bluetooth keyboard linked to the Tv, but in any case it turns out that you are not restricted to the google collection.

Yes the navigation is a bit sluggish but that is pretty normal for 'smart Tvs' and nothing like as convoluted as the multiple negotiations wih menus on our Samsungs, which is a plus. This was well illustrated when setting up a universal remote, which required hardly any macros with timing and even conditional branching to control the volume with home theatre on or off. The screens look a bit simple in comparison but it's user friendly and there is a full set of discrete commands for Hdmi inputs.

Can't remember if Sony's offer of free dualshock2 game pad, normally c.£50, is still available but that works well with a lot of the games and btw don't bother with a new expensive Hdmi cable, certainly not for watching SD or HD with upscaling, which seems to work fine with our very old ones. Otherwise there are mainly only LG and Panasonic but don't think they provide YouView or Tv recording, satellite or terrestrial tuners, with Android... 

49X8309C in uk
andglend6
Explorer

KD-49X8305C 

Had a chromecast plugged into a usb port on this TV ,was rock solid always there and reliable.

Then realised this tv has its own chromecast which they are calling google cast , so removed my chromecast and started to use google cast, problem is my devices eg. iPad can rarely  find the tv as being a receiver.

Have tried full factory resets (initial setup) nothing improves it. 

Currently using wifi connection on the TV could this be the issue ?

SDCEGavster

KD55X8507/Humax/PS3 - volume and HDMI issues.

After further testing I have ascertained that the Humax Remote RM-F01 still controls the volume for all non-HD channels as before. But absolutely nothing for HD channels!  Why?