Join now - be part of our community!

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

NickCo1979

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

I thought I'd create a generic thread to cover off the issues being encountered on the 2015 Bravia Android TVs. I've listed my issues below with fixes / workarounds and responses from support. All comments and solutions welcome!

1) Hot Swap HDMI doesn't work - manifested by no input on HDMI channels 2, 3 and 4 on the KD-49X8305C. Workaround - reset the TV, either by holding down the remote power button for 5 seconds or by switching the TV off at the wall and then back on again. Further details on this thread: https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/kd-49x8305c-hdmi-2-3-4-inputs-not-working/td-p/1944435

2) HDD Recording doesn't work - error message states a system update is required but none is available when checking. Hopefully this will be fixed soon by a firmware update.

3) Netflix App doesn't work - this seems like the app has been deliberately disabled. So far a support case has only recommended that a factory reset be performed (took two days to get to that cracking piece of advice.....), with no improvement as a result. A temporary (albeit for advanced users only) workaround is provided by MikeLothian on this thread - https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/netflix-support-for-kd55x8509c-android-tv/td-p/1945360 

4) Sound lag and performance issues after the TV (KD-49X8305C) has been on standby for a while - manifested for me as stuttering and sound / picture sync issues in all apps (youtube, amazon instant video etc) and HDMI sources (PS4, seperate YouView box etc). Hopefully this will be fixed in a firmware update, at the moment workarounds involve either changing channels to get the sync to work or in my case having to turn the TV off and then on again at the socket.

As stated previously, all comments welcome. Personally I'm willing to give Sony a couple of weeks to fix this, but if it's not done soon I'll be sending my new TV back for a refund as it's not really fit for purpose.

6,373 REPLIES 6,373
stoolzo

@daknigh36 wrote:

Just wanted to say to anyone looking to return their Sony and want an alternative I can thoroughly recommend the Samsung JS8500 - I returned my Sony (and I am a hige Sony Bravia fan) and bought the Samsung 65JS8500 - I was dubious about the curved screen but it makes absolutely no difference either way to be honest - the TV is awesome - fantastic picture, looks great and the Tizen OS is a dream to use.

Really love it - NEVER thought I would say that about a Samsung!

curved and £1400 more expensive.. no thanks mate :slight_smile:

elraouk

Will wait to see if WD contact me or not, but if Sony do refund then there will not be much more for me to add other than re-iterate all the issues (and give detail on Sony's poor customer service).

Contemplated the UE48JS8500 as a replacement for the 49X83C as I want a Sat tuner and built in PLEX support; but the wife doesn't like the look of the TV.  Have also read that the curve only makes sense on TVs 65 or above.  Highest spec flat model is the 7000 which looks cheap compared to the 8x and 9x series.  Adding to the problem is that we want two TVs that "match"; not necessatily the same model, but same brand/OS.  Had a post a few pages back about the Samsungs, on the 7000 and below the quality is not the same as Sony.

If Sony sort out the software in the latest release I could be tempted to buy another Sony, but once bitten ...

daknigh36
Explorer

Well for a start it was £500 more expensive and whilst I was dubious about the curve to be honest it makes no difference good or bad .

I realise its horses for coarses - just wanted to say that its a cracking alternatve - picture wise its easily a match.

stoolzo

@daknigh36 wrote:

Well for a start it was £500 more expensive and whilst I was dubious about the curve to be honest it makes no difference good or bad .

I realise its horses for coarses - just wanted to say that its a cracking alternatve - picture wise its easily a match.

its come down since I last looked, its still £1000 more expensive, the Sony is £1999, samsung is £2999 at PC world.

elraouk

Which Sony model did you have before?

I would see the JS8500 as an upgrade to the X83C, as it is the "S" UHD, so equivalent to the Triluminous range,

Can get the 48JS4800 for £1299 at JL (after £300 trade in), the 49X83C is down to £799.   Panasonic 50CX802B is also £1299 (after £200 trade in) but lack of apps (i.e. PLEX) for firefox puts me off.

daknigh36
Explorer

I had the Sony 55X93C which I paid £1789 for and I bought the Samsung 65JS8500 for £2299. £510 difference.

I loved the picture on the SOny and I am a Sony TV fan but I just could not live with the Android OS - and I was not confident Sony will sort it to a level I would be happy with so I returned it and went with Sammy - I did not want a curved screen but thought I would give it a try as I wanted the higher end panel and, as I have stated earlier, it make no difference - I do not even notice it when viewing  - the curve is not that extreme anyway. Picture wise it is easily as good as the Sony - I wouldn't say its better but it is as good.

I am not trying to criticise people choices or anything - just wanted to give people looking for an alternative an option. I absolutely LOVE the Samsung - way more than I was expecting.

jack32467

Why are so many people who've replaced their sony tv with another model/brand still commenting?

profile.country.GB.title
theshamelessmanc

@stoolzo

Sent you a PM bud.... have a look at your inbox!

elraouk

Am torn between giving the 55X90C ago for 90 days from JL (£1,499) or getting a Samsung 48JS8500 (£1,299) or 48JU7000 (£1,049).

Part of the problem is keeping the wife happy.  She really likes the Sonys, obviously complains a lot about Lip Sync and the slow OS; but once you are in to Plex or have Sky up on screen the OS is less of an issue as I have no intention of playing games or anything else.  Sat EPG needs a lot of work, but will only be used occasionally when once person is watching Sky and the other wants to watch something in another room.

In fact if I could have a home screen that just had icons for PLEX, SKY (HDMI 1) and SAT that would be perfect!

Al_Charles

Well tomorrow is the 29th and as we all know, update day. Of course this might change as a poster has said Sony may delay again.

I would love to see a post from Sony letting us know if or when.