Join now - be part of our community!

49XF9005 Faulty or is Android just bad?

SOLVED
profile.country.CA.title
MJC_OK
Explorer

49XF9005 Faulty or is Android just bad?

Hi all

had my 49XF9005 for just over a week now, and I’m extremely pleased with the picture but I’m having issues with Android, I think?

These are things that keep happening :

1. Sometimes the tv won’t turn on using the power button on the remote, mashing other buttons will eventually get it to come on

2. Sometimes it comes on, loads the home screen or plays live tvgdid until I disabled YV), and then goes black, followed by the Android animation

3. When I switch to HDMI 1 (Apple TV) it also launches one of the installed apps

4. Last night, when playing a film via VLC (streamed from NAS rather than connected HDD) the tv just turned off, pressing the power button turned it back on and the film just continued 

5. Often when I press a button, there will be no response, or it will be extremely delayed 

things I’ve done/installed

1. Installed an IPTV app (this is what launches when I select HDMI1) - sideloaded via X-Plore

2. Installed Kodi (no add ons or anything)

3. Disabled YouView

4. Personalised picture settings 

My set up is very basic, have the Apple TV, Switch and a BT YouView box attached to it - no amps or sound bars 

Thanks for any tips ... suspect a factory reset is going to be required 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.CA.title
MJC_OK
Explorer

New TV arrived on Saturday and on inital set up I noticed it was markedly more responsive than my previous set, with only a minor slow down after I performed the system update (though it seems to have returned to being responsive again now). Thus far, no crashes, no weird apps launching, no unresponsiveness in the menus or when trying to power the TV on with the remote.

So I guess to answer my original question, yes, the TV was faulty, but also Android is still quite bad :wink:

View solution in original post

18 REPLIES 18

I have been having a very similar issue.  Brought my TV in Feb 2018 and use freeview or youview (with only a few additional apps) which doesn't respond when I press a button on the remote then suddenly every button press happens at once and I end up on a random screen.

The reason for my response it to subscribe to your question in case of a resolution.

profile.country.CA.title
MJC_OK
Explorer

Oh yeah, that happens to me too - I’m confident that’s just due to the low powered processer though. The same things happens on my old work laptop 

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown
Enthusiast

Yes, a Factory Reset is indicated - Android is bad, but it’s not that bad, and nor is it bad in those sorts of ways,

After the Reset, hold off on repeating 1 and 2, though 3 and 4 should be fine to repeat.

If the problems recur, suspect a faulty set.

If all is well, though, repeat 1, and see if that is fine, or if the problems recur. If so, you now know what’s doing it.

Ditto with 2, Kodi.

YouView Superuser, but not an employee of YouView, nor retained by them for this purpose. It's purely me speaking
profile.country.GB.title
d000007
Explorer

I have just got a kd49xf9005 a few days ago and have been getting very frustrated with remote not responding as quickly as I would expect or like.....sometimes.   I can't pin down why or when as most of the time response time is fine.  I have mostly been using Freeview and iPlayer.

profile.country.GB.title
d000007
Explorer

I have just got a kd49xf9005 a few days ago and have been getting very frustrated with remote not responding as quickly as I would expect or like.....sometimes.   I can't pin down why or when as most of the time response time is fine.  I have mostly been using Freeview and iPlayer.

profile.country.GB.title
jwm007

Yes, I have difficulty getting the TV to turn on quite often. The Android system is very clunky and to be honest dreadful. Sony has manufactured a very good tv spoiled by the operating system. Its the so-called smart features that are the problem. I have my apple tv 4K on HDMI 2 but I don't get the issues you raise. Their Dolby Vision update for HMDI sources is appalling and that includes my Sony 4K Blu-ray player. I have set the resolution to SDR 50 and flagged the Apple Tv to match the dynamic range of the content. Needless to say it doesn't work. Dolby Vision is forced since you either have it for everything or not all.

profile.country.CA.title
MJC_OK
Explorer

Sorry for the late response, had some issues with my account after being forced to reset the password ... but anyway... I tried the factory reset and periodically reinstalled the previous apps to see if I could pin down what was causing the issues, and I can only conclude that it’s Android. I’m still facing the same issues, but now I have some new ones with the inbuilt apps: Netflix crashes at least twice per hour, so now I don’t use it. Amazon Prime won’t display a picture, I just get some strange colours on display - so now I’m thinking it’s time to send it back - the only question is if I get a replacement or a refund 

I purchased my XF90 TV 4 days ago and haven't installed a single app. Have gone through the firmware upgrade process to allow for Dolby Vision support. I can't say if the firmware introduced these problems or not, however I can say the TV set (OS) goes unresponsive rather often, it feels sluggish and sometimes Netflix comes up with a black screen and a white rectangle box as if I need to type something in. Hitting the + in the navigation Dpad of the remote does bring up the netflix menu. The volume bar often times is very slow to come up which I don't necessarily consider to be a problem as I can feel the volume level changing. Preventing the on-screen volume bar from showing up when doing minor volume adjustments is a good thing as it won't affect the viewing experience (especially during dark scenes where the volume indicator would force some LED zones to lit up).

@Sony- please consider adding an option to allow changing the subtitle text color and luminocity intensity. With HDR/Dolby vision content (NetFlix), the text literally shines! and it lits up areas in dark scenes to the point where it becomes really annoying.

@Sony- please advise when we can expect AndroidTV upgrade to v8.0 (Oreo).

@Sony- please advise if the optical signal can support more than 2 PCM channels (like 5.1). Is this firmware or HW limited?

Thanks otherwise for an excellent TV set with goregous screen performance!

profile.country.CA.title
MJC_OK
Explorer

Sounds very similar to my experience, though I haven’t had that issue with Netflix, thankfully 

I don’t think anyone from Sony checks (or rather responds) to these posts