Join now - be part of our community!

4K streaming on XD9305 via NAS..lags...impossible

profile.country.GB.title
Henrik82
Explorer

4K streaming on XD9305 via NAS..lags...impossible

Hi everyone.

I have an XD9305 TV with the latest FW. I connected it to a NAS (Synology DS115J). Connection is a Gbit LAN router (ASUS RT-AC87U AC2400 WLAN-Router)

The issue is.... 4K Streaming is impossible. It lags, frames are missing, usually no sound. I'm happy, if it shows around 15fps. To be honest, i was assuming a bit more from this TV.

Checked the network traffic between NAS & TV. It goes never over 9Mbyte. If I want to whatch a good quality FHD or  4K movie(mostly HEVC).. i just can't. Even Sony's demo movies cannot be whatched over this Gbit connection.

As i was curious, i tried the same vie the USB3 port. There, i can whatch the most oft them.but not all.

Is there a special setting on the TV? Or is it simply impossible with the TV?

The datatransfer between NAS and other devices id fine => over 90MByte

Every suggestion; idea is welcome

Ps.: Sorry for my bad english... i'm hungarian :slight_smile:

13 REPLIES 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

Unfortunately this is a known issue - which cannot be resolved.  Sony in it infinate wisdom only managed to include a 10/100Mbps ethernet port and not a Gigabit one.  Hence the issue of streaming larger files.  You can try using wireless on the TV as it can use 802.11ac speeds, but even then there is an issue, see HERE

Cheers

profile.country.GB.title
Henrik82
Explorer

Hi Quinnicus,

Unfortunately i tried that way to. At first... i tought my Linksys WRT1900 router is too weak... and bought an ASUS RT-AC87U AC2400.... But the performance is the same with the Linksys router which is worse than the 100Mbit LAN.

Anyway, as there is nothing to do with this "Flagship model", and i'm not able to watch 4K movies (or even a really good FHD movie) I will try to have it changed for an other model or brand :(...

I don't want to wait every time for a new FW which will solve all the issues 😞

(sorry, i'm reallly disappointed)

Thank you once more & have a nice day

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

I understand where you are coming from - most of my viewing is via downloads/streaming etc.  A few years ago I got absolutely jacked off with network streaming and the non-ability to stream high-bitrate files that I invested in a Media player that connects to my TV via HDMI cable.  A company called Mede8er i chose and got the MED1000X3D media player.  Although they have not updated their media players yet for 4K and HDR etc, there are some on the market that do.  Is it worth you considering one?  Cheaper than a new TV - and the picture quality of Sonys tend to be better than the competition.

Just giving you another option thats all.

profile.country.GB.title
Henrik82
Explorer

Hi,

I understand your point of view.

The idea was to have a "SMART (!!) " TV which is able to play & stream FHD & 4K movies. Of course, it does until there is no or just less quality. The point is, i could do the streaming via pc. But thats again just a workaround (and all other gadgets). As it seems i bought a shiny display.... where now I do have to buy all the other parts (sounds like a PC) to have the complete solution 😞

Also i do have a lot of PS (not 1 or 2..) and Sony smart phones and amplifyer. I thought they will work great together. Yes, they do, but also the smart phone has a better WLAN connectivity....frustrating...

And one other point. All other apps (on the TV) can see my NAS, but not  Sony's "Video" app. Therefore i can't listen to DTS or Atmos or whatever sounds (except PCM & DD)

And the last point...New FW less trouble... since the latest FW update, the voice control is also not..

Maybe i wait a couple of weeks if there will be a new FW, if not.... i think that's all folks...for a long time

Thank's once more

cheers

profile.country.GB.title
Henrik82
Explorer

I installed the FW:865 and made some test runs measures. The maximum data transfer was around 9,6MBytes (76,8Mbits). That's still bad....

As it seems, I do have to live with this problem i thought maybe there is a workaround:

Is there a GBit LAN to USB3 adapter? I mean, that won't require any driver and it is accepted by Android and XD9305 series..like plug&play.

I found a lot on INternet but i'm not sure which could be used by this TV.

Does have anybody experience?

Cheers,

Henrik

profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

Is there a GBit LAN to USB3 adapter?

No.

The maximum data transfer was around 9,6MBytes (76,8Mbits).

I am getting an average of 120mbps over 802.11ac.

profile.country.ES.title
sergio_sch

I'm also very dissapointed with what the topic creator said.

After 2 months I have found some clear things.

Besides the fact that the wired ethernet is 10/100 adapter and it never reaches the optimal 100 Mbit, and the wifi neither reaches any theorical optimal and tops about 120Mbit, there is a very serious and dissapointing issue and it is that both of the adapters perfomance seem to be directly related to the CPU or lets say bitrate/codec required power to work on.

I will explain with some example:  I have been able to play over gigabit LAN, h264 mkvs with a size of about 30-40 and even 50 Gbs. Bitrates are quite high, but as long as adapter can hold transfer speed, it doesn't stutter or pause. Both Video stock app and Kodi perform similar.

Instead, h265 HEVC 10 bit HDR mkvs are very difficult to play, even in a medium size file around 25-30 Gb gets pauses and big stutters. With that file sizes, overall bitrate may be about 30-50 Mbit, peaking at 60-70 Mbit, theorically it should be attainable without trouble by the system, but with this codec it is not at all, perfomance drop drastically.

This can only have one explanation: wifi and ethernet adapter bus are bottlenecked by CPU usage, transfer speed gets reduced by chipset bus performance used by network and the result is that at this scenario your TV is not even a 30 Mbit adapter, it gets a ridiculous slow networked Smart TV useless for 4K HDR content.

For some reason, USB filesystem play is not so highly affected by this issues so it stands as the only option to play some quality 4K files, direclty from USB hard disk.

The Marshmallow update hasn't improved anything. In fact, in my case with a 55XD9305, although TV seems to be lighter in menus, it seems to have lost some perfomance in streaming. I have one particular movie in an MKV HEVC HDR 10bit of 32 Gb of size that I could succesfully play complete when the TV was at Android 5. Now, at Android 6, factory resetted and tried every kind of settings with stock Video and kodi, wired and wifi, I have been unable to get the file to play without problems, it drops frames and pauses frequently.

So yes, we have a Smart TV, 4K fully capable from Digital Tuner and HDMI, also for Netflix standards, but when it comes to home DLNA and samba shared over LAN, the perfomance of the system is the same of a chip chinese android box.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @sergio_sch

I agree with you - it is very disappointing indeed.  The 10/100 NIC is just unforgivable to be frank.  In regards to Wi-fi etc, unfortunately I cannot see this being resolved as its a hardware limitation.

The only suggestion that I have (and you are not going to like it) - is to purchase an additional device, a network media player that connects to the TV via HDMI.

Cheers

profile.country.RU.title
akelesy
Expert

I also could find some solution to my XE9005 connected to Netgear R7000. I can play most of the 4K films streamed from NAS if I connect TV on 802.11 N standard (not 802.11 AC). Also I play it on VLC player with almost no pauses (or at least a few in the beginning).

And that is really, really, really sad that Sony anouncing 4K TVs doesn't make them suitable to use with NASes. Heard that Samsung does not have such problems.

OM NAMAH SHIVAYA