Join now - be part of our community!

Dolby Vision on A1

profile.country.GB.title
keithkdenny
Explorer

Dolby Vision on A1

Hi Everyone.

I've been playing some Netflix Dolby Vision streams through my A1 but the 'Picture Mode' never reports a Dolby Vision stream, it just says Cinema Pro. It reports the stream as HDR only. Does anybody else have this problem?

8 REPLIES 8
profile.country.GB.title
dutchice
Expert

Hi @keithkdenny,

Welcome to the Sony Community!

Assuming you meet all the requirements for Dolby Vision playback on Netflix. It could be that a simple soft reset of your TV might resolve your issue. You can find instructions on how to properly power cycle your TV (soft reset) on this article.

If a soft reset doesn’t resolve the issue then please confirm that you have subscribed to the Netflix Premium plan on the account used on your TV.

Confirm that you are running the very latest version of the Netflix App.

Confirm that you have updated your TV firmware with the latest Dolby Vision update.

If all the above is in effect, you must be able to see a Dolby Vision sign right under the main title on certain Netflix content such as ‘Altered Carbon’.

If you do see the sign but still don’t see the Dolby Vision picture profile being activated during playback of DV content. You might need to empty the data and cache for the Netflix app under HOME > SETTINGS > APPS on the TV, before trying again. 

Keep us posted!

Cheers,

Dutchice

profile.country.GB.title
keithkdenny
Explorer

HI Dutchie

Thanks for the pointers.

The Netflix account I was using was on a Roku streaming stick +, which is Dolby Vision capable. I used this because there was an old Netflix account on the TV app, and I couldn't be bothered doing a factory reset to change the account details. I tried the soft reset but nothing changed, so, in the end, I went ahead and did a factory reset, and changed the tv's Netflix account. This proved to be a success. I now have Dolby Vision showing on the likes of 'Lost in Space' and 'Altered Carbon'. But when using the same account on the Roku, via HDMI, it still isn't showing Dolby Vision, while it is showing HDR. Also, the TV now has Youview, and the menus are sluggish. I thought thet doing a factory reset would take the Firmware back to the original shipping firmware, but it's the same version as it was before I did the reset.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Regards

Keith

profile.country.GB.title
dutchice
Expert

Hi Keith,

Good to hear you sorted out the issue. Be advised that for changing your current Netflix account, you only need to sign-out from your account through the HELP menu (not EXIT) in the Netflix app. So going through a full Factory Data Reset only to sign-out your Netflix account is not necessary. You could also empty the Data and Cache for the Netflix app as I described in my previous post, which would clear out your login details from the Netflix app resulting in the same sign-out.

Further more, as of now you still are not able to playback DV content from the Roku Streaming Stick + to your A1 TV because Roku has not updated the required firmware on their device to support that for Sony Bravia TV's. So playing back native DV content from the Roku Netflix app will default back to HDR10 when displayed on your TV.

Remember that performing a Factory Data Reset does not downgrade your existing firmware revision. It only clears all settings and customised configurations you might have done, and returns the TV to the out-of-the-box state; not to the out-of-the-box firmware revision.

Feel free to ask us your questions anytime!

Dutchice

profile.country.GB.title
keithkdenny
Explorer

HI Dutchie

Thanks again for your help. I did the factory reset because I'd seen somewhere on Sony's help pages that that was the only way to change the account details. Think I'll use the comunity for any guidance in future. Any ideas on why I've now got Youview, when I didn't have it before the reset? And, also, why the tv now seems to take twice as long as before when reacting to the remote, or changing channels?

Thanks in anticipation.

Keith

profile.country.GB.title
dutchice
Expert

Hi Keith,

I am not a YouView expert, but I believe that after the Factory Data Reset during the setup process of your TV, you most probably have selected for digital tuning of channels using the YouView service. Again I think any of our YouView Experts could clarify that better than me here.

However, if you changed your mind and want to disable the YouView service, you can read the instructions on the very first post of the board called "FAQ's on this forum".

Regarding your response times I would suggest the following:

• Disable the YouView service
  • Disable the Samba service. Read this post to learn how.
  • Update all apps and components suggested by Google Play Store. In particular be sure to have updated the "Google app for Android TV" to version 3.4

Generally the above should be enough to improve response times to a satisfactory level. But if after a few days you still are not satisfied you could try the tip to restrict the memory resident apps suggested on this video at own risk.

As usual, let us know how you get along.

Cheers,

Dutchice

profile.country.GB.title
keithkdenny
Explorer

Hi Dutchie.

Once again, thanks for your help, it's much appreciated. I'll try all you've suggested.

Regards

Keith

Recently updated my A1 to version 8.0.0 (build bravia_atv2_eu-user 8.0.0 opr2.170623.027.s23.665101

since the update was not getting Dolby vision content from built in Netflix app. 

Tried updating Netflix app. Same issue.

tried clearing data and cache. Same issue.

Tried rollimg back netwlgix. Same issue.

Tried complete factory reset. This seemed to have resolved it briefly. But tonight same issue and nothing else changed.

Please help! 

profile.country.GB.title
dutchice
Expert

Hi @Russellmckee,

Welcome to the Sony Online Community!

Since you already have performed a FDR on the TV and the issue was temporarily resolved, I suggest you try signing out of your current Netflix account from the TV and use a new 4K Netflix account for testing purposes to sign in.

It is very likely that your Netflix account is causing the issue.

Cheers,

Dutchice