Join now - be part of our community!

Google Play Store: Unable to update or install any apps (error 963)

profile.country.GB.title
hvalentim

Google Play Store: Unable to update or install any apps (error 963)

Right now I am facing a situation where I am unable:

- to install new apps from Google Play Store (fails with "error 963")
- to update already installed ones ("pends" forever).

And where: already installed apps which need to write no longer work.

This seems to have started once I tried to use a USB Key to extend internal memory.

Therefore, as a consequence of trying to use a feature announced to be supported by Sony, my hole TV is now compromised and turned into an unusable state.

We are talking about a 55KD8005 model with latest firmware.

7 REPLIES 7
profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

You perfectly know that adoptable storage is not usable on Sony Android TV.

You should be able to migrate the most important data back to internal. I know this is no real solution. But don't expect Sony to fix anything.

profile.country.GB.title
hvalentim

If indeed "adoptable storage is not usable on Sony Android TV" I expect the company to acknowledge so and to REMOVE the feature altogether. Since it's there, I assume it should work, as it does in most any Android device.

profile.country.GB.title
Jecht_Sin
Enthusiast

Your extended memory has most likely turned into "Read Only" mode. That's why you can launch the apps already installed (although it may mess up with the data written in the "SD card") but you can't either update or install new apps.

What you need to do is to go into the Internal Memory settings and move everything back to the internal memory (hopefully you have enough space). After the "SD card" is mounted in the internal memory and all apps are back in  the latter, reformat the USB key and forget about it.

profile.country.GB.title
hvalentim

I appreciate your suggestion, but it seems to me that going around (accommodating to live with) the problem is not a "solution".

A rudimentary sense of "quality" for me implies that Sony either:

- Fixes the problem;

- Explicitly assumes the limitation and removes the feature altogether as it is there only to cause problems and frustration.

profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

You have been around for long enough to know how Sony acts these days.

I gave up the hope that they will change and finally start fixing bugs a long time ago. Instead my mission is to inform other people so that they don't make the same mistake as I did.

profile.country.GB.title
hvalentim

Well. What do our courteous friends, with a direct line to Sony, have to say about it?

profile.country.GB.title
Jecht_Sin
Enthusiast

@hvalentimas a single user it's the most I can do to try to help you to not lose your data/apps. I reported the problem to Sony Support already, and as I wrote in another thread the answer has been "try different USB keys".

So the answer is simple: Sony doesn't care. Since I have only one liver and I don't want to damage it even more after years of parties and nights out, I decided to use only the basic functions of the TV (and not even those are working fine, just look at the disaster of the volume bar) and in case get an Apple TV 4K. I am just waiting for the 64 GB model to be available in my Country and then I'll probably buy one, using the TV mostly as a display, uninstalling and/or disabling all unneeded apps available also in tvOS, in the hope of squeezing a few more % in performances.

Hopefully with the single remote of the Apple TV I will also manage to raise the volume of my AVR. Oh and the 1 gigabit ethernet connection I am sure will help greatly with my local streaming. Not to mention that I will fully appreciate the surround from my new AVR. Hopefully Amazon Video will be available soon and even that problem will be fixed as well once for all.