Join now - be part of our community!

KD49X9000E Issues..

profile.country.GB.title
blmanktelow
Explorer

KD49X9000E Issues..

I have just purchased a Sony KD49X9000E, finally upgraded my 10+ year old TV, but so far I am less than impressed. Is there any reason the Internet is so slow on these TVs? Every other device in my house gets 100mbps whether on wifi or wired yet the TV maxes out at 25mbps on both wifi or wired. I think this is causing my other issue of poor quality netflix which judders and is sometimes a little pixelated. Also, I can't cast netflix from my phone or desktop, it just tries to load the app on the TV then I get 16001 error on my device. So basically everything I bought it to do, it can't. As it stands I think this TV is a waste of money, my 10+ year old bravia I just upgraded from was better.

3 REPLIES 3
profile.country.GB.title
Jecht_Sin
Enthusiast

Just to be clear, did you mean KD-49XE9000?

In any case you must get 90-100Mbps via ethernet and then it depends on WiFi. If it connects via WiFi 2.4GHz 25Mbps may happen. At 5GHz you may get full speed, depending on the distance. If you have a common name for both 2.4GHz and 5GHz signals the TV may automatically choose the 2.4GHz one because it may be stronger, of better quality.

So it's better to concentrate on the Ethernet case and see how to fix it there. Usually via Ethernet there aren't bandwidth issues. 100Mbps top is what one would usually get. Unless you are using slow powerline adapters in the middle. Or a second router/ethernet HUB interfering. So you should check that equipment if you have any.

If that is not the case you may try to restart, or even reset, the ISP router. Maybe try a different ethernet cable. On the TV side I wouldn't know, I just plug the cable and it goes at max speed. Some suggest to use the static IP address with the DNS servers (8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4). You may give it a try as well. And check if you have any third party app that may affect the network configuration.

Oh, you may also try to install an app like "Aida64". It gives info about all hardware. It's especially good if you want to try via WiFi, it shows at which speed (and frequency) the WiFi is connected.

If nothing really fixes it you may resort to a reset to factory settings. But that's really the last option. Unless the Ethernet/network interfaces are faulty, but usually in that case they do no work at all.

profile.country.GB.title
blmanktelow
Explorer

It is definitely called a KD49X9000E, here is a link - https://store.sony.co.nz/KD49X9000E.html#start=1

After some more research this seems to be a well known Sony problem. Download speeds from the TV are significantly slower than other devices.

My TV is currently wired (not using wifi although the speeds are the same), but all other devices whether wired or wifi are getting full 100 Mbps DOWN/20 Mbps UP, TV is currently 30-40 Mbps DOWN/20 Mbps Up. Have tried all the basics and it is 100% the TV slowing things down. Strange that it's not affecting upload speeds though..

Sony by the looks don't seem interested in fixing this though, they certainly know about it.

profile.country.GB.title
Jecht_Sin
Enthusiast

Aww... that's the New Zealand model. Ok, then. I suppose it is equivalente to the European model XE90.

Said that.. I don't know. In my XD80 I get full internet bandwidth (75Mbps) and 95-100Mbps in local streaming (with Plex and/or Kodi). Maybe you can try with some sample videos from this site to check the LAN bandwidth is fine. I would start downloading and then playing with the Video app (you would need to store it in the PC and then use a DLNA server like Windows Media Player, or install the Plex server enabling DLNA) the one with 80Mbps and check with the Task Manager in Windows the upload bandwidth (or Activity Monitor if you're using a Mac).

If you get 80Mbps or above the interface is fine. And that would mean something is wrong in the communication between the router and the TV. Again, via ethernet usually there aren't many issues, and many times they are caused by incompatibility between the TV and the ISP routers (which most of the time are junk. Mine for sure, but it causes issues mostly with the PS3 and PS4. With the TV is fine).