Join now - be part of our community!

KD55XE9305 ARC-Enhanced HDMI Problem

profile.country.GB.title
Crospa91
Explorer

KD55XE9305 ARC-Enhanced HDMI Problem

Hi everyone, I own a Sony KD55-XE9305 and since couple of months now something strange is happening...

My setup is the following:

Apple TV 4K connected to a Sony Soundbar ZF9 and the soundbar is connected to the ARC Port in my TV. Im using premium hdmi cables as well but something weird is started to happen.

Since a month or two, when i turn on the TV instead of seeing the nornal Apple TV screen with the Dolby Vision Logo on the Top Right Corner, the image start flashing and if appear it will be all pink-ish with like a green noise all over it, with the image flashing at the times. If i went to the setting of the TV and i select as a mode for the HDMI " Normal" not the Ehanched one everything works but of course i lose HDR and Dolby Vision and the ARC works great with the soundbar, if i turn the setting back on everything start flashing or with the noise again. I've tried to today to move the whole connectors into the port HDMI 2 of my TV and the problem don't Happen! But if i plug just the apple TV to the HDMI 3 ARC the problem came back, even excluding the Soundbar. Even if i plug the whole soundbar to the Port 2 ( Losing the ARC Feature that tbh i dont care a lot about) everything work as normal. 

Any of you have ever experienced anything like this? Can it be that a Premium 18GBPS cable is not enough powerful to pass ARC, dolby vision and all the things to the TV? Or are we looking at an eletric problem with my TV port? 

I've already tried to change cables and all the setup is made using the Belkin Ultra HDMI Cable, (the one that apple suggest for the apple TV 4k) that for what i am aware it should support either ARC and Dolby Vision at the same time, but i've noticed that they sell also a 48Gbps HDMI cable, that may be the thing i need?

Any suggestion?

4 REPLIES 4
profile.country.GB.title
Sean_Mc

Hi there,

I'm looking into this and will update the thread when I have an answer. In the meantime perhaps another member of the community will be able to help. 

Best wishes,

Sean Mc

profile.country.GB.title
dutchice
Expert

Hi @Crospa91,

The connection method you describe for the TV, ATV and SB is probably the best way to get the most out of your devices. If you are getting a pink image or noise the most probable cause is a defective cable, so look into that first. The next probable cause might be defective HDMI input/output circuitry caused by swapping in/out HDMI cables while the devices have been ON and outputting a live signal. In some very rare cases faults can be cleared out from the TV HDMI circuit board by performing a Factory Data Reset. So you might want to give that also a try as a last resort. You can find instructions on how to perform a Factory Data Reset on your TV on this article. If after testing you come to the conclusion that the HDMI 3 input on the TV is defective, you either can book a repair service for your TV or refer to the alternative connection method as described below.

The alternative connection method would be to connect your ATV to HDMI 2 and your sound bar to HDMI 3. Also keep your [Enhanced HDMI] setting to ON. Connecting the ATV to HDMI 3 (ARC) isn't necessary since there is no need to return the audio channel back to the ATV. Both HDMI cables connecting the sound bar and ATV to your TV must be at least a Premium HDMI Certified cable and of the High Speed with Ethernet type. Your current Belkin HDMI cable while proven to be a quality cable, still is not a certified cable. HDMI certified cables must pass numerous EMI tests set out by the HDMI Certification Program before they receive their certification from the HDMI forum. You can recognise HDMI certified cables from their orange certification label on the packaging material.

Technically for your particular setup, a High Speed with Ethernet cable should be enough between the ATV and your TV. But if you prefer to purchase an Ultra Speed cable make sure you choose a certified cable. This ensures the shielding is capable to withstand average household EMI emissions.

I also understand from your post that you have set the ATV to output a Dolby Vision signal at all times. This is not a recommended setting. I suggest you follow tips 1, 12 & 13 from this video: https://youtu.be/ZaFhC1UOtNE

Feel free to post back your questions and comments.

Cheers,

Dutchice

IMPORTANT: Be aware that if you perform a factory reset, all of the TV's data and settings (Wi-Fi and wired network setting information, Google account and other login information, Google Play and other installed applications, etc.) will be erased, and the TV will return to how it was at the time of purchase.

profile.country.GB.title
Crospa91
Explorer

Thanks guys for your replies. At the moment I’ve connected the Apple TV and my PS4 to the Soundbar and the soundbar into the HDMI 2 port on the TV. To be honest with you all, I don’t need the ARC Function, cause all my devices pass by the soundbar anyway, and in this way I don’t have any problem. I’ve tried hard reset, factory reset and cable swaps so many times, but nothing changed, so it’s really look like a fault on the circuit of the port 3

profile.country.GB.title
dutchice
Expert

Hi @Crospa91,

Good to hear you found a satisfying workaround on the issue. You must be very pleased to hear that your specific sound bar is in fact officially Dolby Vision and HDR compatible! The reason why you can connect your ATV and PS4 and let the signals pass-through to your TV without any trouble.

Cheers,

Dutchice