Join now - be part of our community!

[RESOLVED] Sony TV KD49XG9005BU - cannot record on HDD!

SOLVED
profile.country.GB.title
Richlion2
Explorer

[RESOLVED] Sony TV KD49XG9005BU - cannot record on HDD!

Hello, 

I just bought this KD49XG9005BU and trying to format and record on an external HDD attached to the USB port for recording. It doesn't work. 

I plug in the disk - I tries a 1TB and 500GB disk. The first time I format it, it says it's ready. Then I try to register it and it stubbornly keeps saying it can't. I'll attach the images of the error. How to fix this?

I have a very old Sharp TV with recording, it's a breeze to setup, not a singe problem with the same disks. 

I spend over 2 hours getting this to work. 

Error messageError messageFormattingFormatting

15 REPLIES 15
profile.country.GB.title
Richlion2
Explorer

I follow these instructions:

https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/how-tos-faqs-tvs-home-cinema/how-to-record-tv-programmes-using-usb-r...

Yes, at first I format the disk, as I am not sure if the NTFS it has is compatible. WHen that is done I can see the disk is recognized, 500GB shows as 466GB, I can also see the menu where is says Register. When I press it, it then comes up with an error "Can't detect a USB HDD for recording". 

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

so you'll never get the confirmation "HDD registration complete"?

profile.country.GB.title
Richlion2
Explorer

@rooobb wrote:

so you'll never get the confirmation "HDD registration complete"?

That is correct. I tried many times. Let's leave it for now. I've got some options to check. Firmware is one area I need to look at, maybe my TV needs a fix, I hope. 

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

before implementing the new firmware (that you should do in any case) try just rebooting the tv by pressing and hold the poweroff button....

profile.country.GB.title
Richlion2
Explorer

Hi Everyone, 

a bit of good news. I had a 2,5" old laptop drive in a USB 3.0 encasement, it doesn't come with an external power, but I managed to format it and it works - hurray 😃

I think the issue with my HDD docking station is it's USB2.0 version and somehow this may be causing an issue. I'll purchase a USB 3.0 one after new year, hopefully this will help me use my almost brand new 1TB HDD. 

I will also update the firmware, as it is from beginning of November and there is a newer version. 

Thanks to all of your for putting so much effort in helping. If this didn't work it would be a shame for a TV worth nearly £900. The only thing I didn't get working is the satellite tuner, which is a matter for another day. Not that I insist, after all nearly all Feesat channels are already on Freeview. 

I'll change this thread to partially resolved. 

*** A Merry Christmas to All. ***

Richard

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown2
Hero

The satellite on these TVs is not Freesat.

My favourite bedtime reading is a Sony product manual…