Join now - be part of our community!

SONY BRAVIA KD65XF9005 & Onkyo TXNR686

profile.country.GB.title
Jmushet68
Explorer

SONY BRAVIA KD65XF9005 & Onkyo TXNR686

Hello, Installed my new Sony TV and Onkyo AV last night along with a new HDMI 2.2 cable.   My AMP is telling me that the TV's ARC is not working. AMP and TV works fine with anything connected through the AMP.  When I play normal TV I get no sound.   Automatic set up of the AMP looks for an ARC compatable TV.  That tells me ARC is not working.   I also updated both S/W on both devices.  I'm sure this is an easy fix.  Anyone any ideas.

Tags (1)
5 REPLIES 5
profile.country.GB.title
royabrown
Enthusiast

Only one of the HDMI ports on the TV supports ARC. Did you take care to connect to that one?

There may be similar considerations at the Onkyo end.

Oh, and I hope you didn’t pay over the odds for that ‘HDMI 2.2’ cable. There is no such thing - HDMI 2.2 is a device standard, not a cable standard, and cables are either High Speed (which is what you want) or they aren’t.

If you have a cable whose packaging calls it HDMI 2.2, please name and shame the supplier.

YouView Superuser, but not an employee of YouView, nor retained by them for this purpose. It's purely me speaking
profile.country.GB.title
Jmushet68
Explorer

thx for the reply.  I had checked all that and plugged into both ports marked ARC.

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown
Enthusiast

OK, that’s good.

Next check is to pull the HDMI cable out at the amp end ARC HDMI port and see if you get the TV sound. Then plug it back in and see if the sound disappears again.

If so, then the TV is sensing there is an ARC-capable device at the other end of the cable, and muting its speakers accordingly (and hopefully still sending the audio on the audio return channel, though of course you can’t tell that) and therefore quite possibly keeping its end of the bargain, while the Onkyo is handshaking with the TV enough to persuade the TV that there is an ARC device there, but not reproducing the sound.

I have an (arguably faulty) HDMI switch that behaves like this; it is claimed to have ARC pass through, but functions well enough to fool the TV into muting, but not well enough to actually pass the audio through :frowning2:

You next test should be to connect the cable between the ARC port on the TV and a non-ARC port on the Onkyo. The TV should detect the lack of ARC on that port, and thus not mute.

This will only tell us so much, though; the issue is you have three bits of kit (including the cable) that are new, untried, and not interoperating correctly.

Where did you get all the kit from? If from a bricks and mortar retailer, get them involved; if from Amazon or similar, you are a bit fscked.

Have you got another HDMI cable you can try? as I said above, any high-speed one will do.

Have you get a friend with a similar setup of TV with ARC and an ARC sound device, amp or soundbar? If so, try your amp on their TV, or their amp or soundbar on your TV; hopefully this way you will find where the issue lies, and if you can isolate the problem to one of the three items, send that back, even if from an online retailer, for refund or replacement.

YouView Superuser, but not an employee of YouView, nor retained by them for this purpose. It's purely me speaking
aurelmoc
Explorer

Hi 

I have the same issue.

Did you manage to have sound from onkyo trough the ARC?

Thank you 

profile.country.GB.title
Tonycv51
Contributor

I have a marantz but my settings may help:-

- settings/sound/audio system prioritisation off (assuming you don't want the tv to turn on your amp all the time)

- settings/external inputs/bravia sync control on

- when TV is playing action menu/sync menu/use audio system for output

- the TVs Home theatre control menu doesn't work with my marantz but you could play around with those settings if they come up for you