Join now - be part of our community!

Standby power consumption

profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

Standby power consumption

I started to measure power consumption in standby with an EdiMax SP-2101W and FHEM software.

First test I have done is with optimized settings like:

Remote start: disabled

Automatic software downloading: disabled

plot2.jpg

There are easily 50-100 wake-ups per night which might sooner or later upset the PSU.

At least with those optimized settings, it went to deep sleep for the first time about half an hour after switching off the set (going from ~20W to 0.5W).

This test was done with the antenna cable unplugged. It might very well be that the TV therefore fails to update the EPG/services, retrying every X minutes.

@Anonymous @Peter_S. Maybe you guys can find something out about Sony standby behavior? That does not look too healthy...

Next night I will try with antenna cable plugged in.

Tags (1)
86 REPLIES 86
profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

I blame Sony for deploying cheap MediaTek BS in products which they claim to be premium...

Jecht_Sin schrieb:

Sure the Ethernet interface doesn't go down anymore!

Well in fact, if you enable IP Control, nothing goes down anymore except for the display. That's also the reason why you are not seeing silent reboots anymore because they happen on resume from deep sleep...

profile.country.GB.title
Jecht_Sin
Enthusiast

Kuschelmonschter wrote:

Well in fact, if you enable IP Control, nothing does down anymore except for the display. That's also the reason why you are not seeing silent reboots anymore because they happen on resume from deep sleep...

That's what I meant indeed. The TV is practically on, it just pauses all apps. It's half sleeping with all electronic (thus the ethernet as well) alive. But that's not the reason why the reboots in deep sleep are gone. I never had IP control enabled after upgrading to 7.0. And the TV stayed without rebooting from a couple of months. Until many things went banana so I had to do a factory reset. And after the reset sure it deep sleeps with IP Control off. That's how the Ethernet gets fully disconnected.

Right now instead I have just got a lively reboot. I had the app Radioline playing, I started 500 Px from the Discovery menu (which had crashed as usual, so I had to wait)  and.. boom! Reboot. Oh yeah. I also just disabled IP control before starting Radioline.

Anyway, talking about the Radioline app, when I switch off the TV (with IP Control OFF) and Radioline playing, switching the TV on Radioline starts playing immediately, as if it blocks the Deep Sleep staying in foreground. Since you have the tools, any chance you can test the power consumption of that as well? I find it odd that an app can bypass the Doze witjout authorization. Well, I suspect yet another bug.

profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

I think that apps have to react to certain broadcast messages. If they don't, this can prevent deep sleep. Kodi for example listens to SCREEN_OFF and reats with a stop.

Also Spotify is said to prevent deep sleep. Haven't tested it though.

I suggest to manually perform a stop before switching off the TV.

arizonaTV
New

I believe i have solved this problem for good.

it was been driving me crazy to always hear the tv turning on every 5 minutes. I have done all the suggestions by turning updates off, set remote start off, ...... did all that

then i went a step further and turned wifi off - so no internet

then i noticed that it still woke up every 5 minutes!

then i decided to REMOVE my Google account and guess what, it stpped doing that

I rely on Amazon Fire TV to mduake my TV 'smart' so I didn't really care for Sony + Google to work day and nght to make my TV smart. So, remove internet and remove your google account, disable remote start, disable automatic updates - basically 'dumb down' the TV all the way and you should be good!

if you try this and moniitor the comsumption i would be interested to see a graph of how my suggestion impacts the power

cheers from the sunny state of Arizona

profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

As I already wrote:

Kuschelmonschter schrieb:

We also got an answer from German Sony guy @Peter_S.. He also states that this is normal for an Android device and that it is specifically due to the Google Cloud Messaging (GCM) service which is most likely active as soon as you sign into your Google account and unfortunately can't be deactivated.

Seems like Google just does not get the TV right and Sony doesn't care that Google is wilfully damaging their devices...

profile.country.GR.title
MiCal1967
Contributor

Hi @arizonaTV

Try playing with Google app(s) permissions

Go to System - Apps - Permission and check on every selection(Body Sensors, Calendar, Camera, Contacts, Location, Microphone, SMS:smile:, Storage, Telephone :smile::smile:, Additional permissions) where Google or Google Play or Google search etc is Enabled by default. Note down default values before disabling and check if your issue stops by disabling one of them. I can't know which one could be the cause. Also check inside every selection the "Show system apps"

profile.country.HU.title
fezo01
Explorer

everything is disabled, I'm not logged in to the google account, I did not accept any privacy. The TV turns on every 5 minutes and then turns off after 4-5 seconds.

profile.country.HU.title
fezo01
Explorer

write sony support!

"TV turns on and communicates with the TV's intended operation and is a feature of the TV Android operating system. In these cases, TV is trying to communicate with Google Cloud Messaging and check its functionality. This is a part of the operating system that is specific and can not be changed or is present when the user does not log in to Google."

profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

Yes. Sony is currently doing everything to make us believe that this is normal behavior and that it does not violate any regulations concerning power consumption. I don't agree with them.

What in the blue hell do I need notifications for on the TV? And why do I need them in standby with a resolution of 3-4 minutes? Total BS...

profile.country.HU.title
fezo01
Explorer

I do not agree, but I've bought the TV and I do not get my money back and I do not get a new TV from sony. I'm trying to sell it as long as I can and buy a non-Android.