Join now - be part of our community!

Suitable HDD

profile.country.GB.title
spear47
Explorer

Suitable HDD

Recently purchased the Sony ke48a9bu oled tv and intend ditching virgin tv when the contract comes to an end. I'm looking for a suitable usb hdd for recording the odd program, so not anything too big. Had a look at Sony support regarding hdd and read the recommended requirements. I noticed too that they say that they cannot guarantee that they will work. With this in mind was wondering if anyone who has this tv has purchased a hhd that is suitable that they could recommend.
Thanks

17 REPLIES 17
profile.country.GB.title
spear47
Explorer

Yes, that the way that I'm doing it, home button-settings 

profile.country.GB.title
Mooly01
Contributor

And what is happening. Are the options not there? It's difficult without actually being in front of one to try for real.

profile.country.GB.title
spear47
Explorer

This is how the channel setup page looks like 

Channel Setup

Auto Tuning
Manual Tuning
Streaming channel setup
Advance setting

profile.country.GB.title
Mooly01
Contributor

I would really need one in front of me. The YouView option must be there although your options page will be different to the one I have. 

You might have to explore through all the menus to find it. Did you watch the video I linked to? 1 minute 30 seconds in.

profile.country.GB.title
spear47
Explorer

Yes, I have looked at the video but what is shown there is different on my TV as it doesn't show the 'YouView' option. I'm expecting a hdd tomorrow, will let you know how that goes.

profile.country.GB.title
Mooly01
Contributor

Everything I read says you go to settings and then channel setup:

https://support.youview.com/youview-on-sony/set-up/enable-disable-youview/ 

profile.country.GB.title
spear47
Explorer

After installing the hdd, was able to record without doing anything with YouView. In fact I was able to watch a program on YouView while recording from freeview. I can only conclude that Sony have made alterations to make it work recently.

profile.country.GB.title
Mooly01
Contributor

Thanks for the update. That is interesting because I know the YouView issue caused a lot of problems and confusion. Sounds like Sony have listened and improved things. Being able to record one channel while watching another means you have a dual tuner model, something I can do on mine. 

The only other practical issue I've encountered (and maybe this is fixed as well) is that when you set it to record an event it says for example that 20Gb space is needed and yet when you look at space remaining after it has recorded it reports only a small amount of space has been used (say 1Gb). On the earlier models that is a glitch and the figure reported remaining is correct, the space it says it needs to record is incorrect.

Enjoy.