Join now - be part of our community!

Upgrading RAM in TV -- Slow AndroidTV Performance

Upgrading RAM in TV -- Slow AndroidTV Performance

Hey All,

I've read through the forum and noticed that many people have performance issues with AndroidTV.  Has anyone attempted adding more RAM/removing and replacing the RAM?

I called Sony to ask them about it and they said it would void my warranty.  I then said, "I'm okay with that, please tell me where it is and if it can be removed/upgraded."  The unbelievable response I received was "we cannot give you that information and you aren't permitted to open the TV." 

Regardless of their ridiculousness, I'm wondering if anyone has tried this.  I have to assume for the sake of cost, it's desktop or laptop memory.  I would also assume that Sony wouldn't make it easy to do.

Thanks All,

Michael

13 REPLIES 13
profile.country.GB.title
Jecht_Sin
Enthusiast

@Kuschelmonschter wrote:

Not sure where this is done. Could very well be done in the X1 image processor (FPGA?) further downstream. Don't think that this little RAM can hold a stream of uncompressed 4K images.

Yeah, I am not sure either. I think it is RAM reserved for the GPU (and the ASIC?), and the amount seems fixed. For example in my MacBook Pro I get "Intel Iris Graphics 6100 1536 MB". So up to 1.5GB of system RAM is gone to be used by the graphics, eve if just displaying

At least the OS shows 2.2GB of reserved memory, "wired" (as in untouchable). I believe that includes the RAM allocate by the kernel and by the graphics. But I really don't know, I have never investigated much the use of system RAM in integrated graphics. 

profile.country.GB.title
SesioNLive

I can advise to deblout the TV as much as possible. After that it does run at least a little better. (More free RAM and less CPU usage eg. less wasted cpu cycles).

Have a look at my post here:

https://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=74490161&postcount=1249

and here

https://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=74521466&postcount=1259

WARNING: This might lead to your device being unstable, I am not responsible for any damage resulting from the changes you might apply to your TV.

You might also want to review the list I made and leave whatever you actually use. (Like I don't use sat tv). 

profile.country.GB.title
Jecht_Sin
Enthusiast

Yes, disabling some apps and services may save a few % in CPU usage and also in RAM. But I am of the opinion that something is inherently wrong in this implementation of Android. Things like the unbelievably slow volume bar (which gets a bit faster when using an HDMI device, like the PS4), that was also crashing, the Home and Settings noticeably lagging, the Discovery menu disappearing, can be the symptoms of some serious bugs.

The CPU cores of these TVs are far from being efficient, but they are not really undersized for basic operations. It makes little sense that browsing in some apps (like Netflix or the now updated TIMvision app in Italy) is much less laggy than browsing Home (Leanback) with its few icons or the settings. Even Kodi v18 (alpha) the scrolling has got quite faster. That shows to me that optimisation is possible and, maybe, those system apps (like Home, Volume bar, Settings, etc) are using some APIs discarded in testing phase by third party developers. Sure, this last one is just a guess.

Then there are the known bugs. For example the unfamous Amazon Video. When I start a video the audio hiccups. Constantly sometimes. But if I go into audio settings (and thus outside the Amazon Video app), and I switch the DD Plus output to Dolby Digital and back, it partially stops. During the streaming or pausing the video is doesn't matter. 

It happens only with Amazon Video (well, sporadically with other apps too. But I get the few millisecs of silence watching videos with the Chromecast in my kitchen's TV as well), but it gets partially fixed acting on Android's settings. So I really don't know who is to blame for that anymore, if Amazon or Sony/Mediatek. I'd say both because Amazon could still test its awful app and find some workaround like all other media players do.

The problem is that, judging from Sony removing the announcement for the incoming announcement in fall of Android 7.0 for ATV1, I believe Mediatek (as usual) isn't really trying to iron out those bugs. Amazon itself switched from Mediatek to Amlogic in the last Fire TV. Maybe because they have got a better deal (probably), it even seems the last model (with Amlogic) is slower. But I like to think that it's also because they have got quite sick of the lack of support from that Mediatek company. Which apparently doesn't even disclose the source code to its customers. Although I don't know about Amlogic practices.

profile.country.GB.title
SesioNLive

Yeah it could be optimized way more.

Just look at all Amazon devices, they run on Android also have between 1-2 GB of RAM and 2-4 core MediaTek SoCs.

No matter if you get an fire TV stick or fire TV box, it runs so much better and smoother than Sony ATVs. 

They cost you what, between 40 and 100€? And Sonys ATVs 1500-4500€? 

So yeah, Sony is definitely doing something wrong.