Join now - be part of our community!

Where are iPlayer and ITV hub apps on new A90J 2021 OLEDs?

profile.country.GB.title
Toadio
Explorer

Where are iPlayer and ITV hub apps on new A90J 2021 OLEDs?

All the common UK catchup tv apps appear to be missing for the tv and they cannot be installed from google play store.. spec clearly states YouView support and specifically iPlayer.. surely i cant be the only one that has noticed these are not there?!

215 REPLIES 215
profile.country.GB.title
lukeymo
Explorer

Hi Moanygit, see my post from earlier... you will hopefully find the new apps in the "Sony Select" app, but they will then appear as apps in your main list once you have used them for the first time.

profile.country.GB.title
joepineapples901
Explorer

Are there any X9J owners who have tried it yet?

profile.country.US.title
DwarfieStane
Explorer

Yes, I think you mean X90J. If so, that's what I have and instructions in this thread have worked for me. Note that you find the update in the "About" section and then once the update is done, the "catch up" apps show up inside another app at first (Sony Select) until you use them for the first time.

profile.country.GB.title
nepunch

nepunch_0-1640097388492.png

Looks like the three wise men turned up after all at Sony.

All sorted, Apps, catch up TV and Youview! Of couse, with Youview I can now access Channelbox!

Have a good Christmas!

profile.country.GB.title
joepineapples901
Explorer

@DwarfieStane Yes, that's what I meant, though I think X9J covers the X90J/X92J/X94J.  No side-effects noticed yet?.

thanks

profile.country.GB.title
HannahEd01
Community Team

Hey guys, for whom who didn't get the apps yet, check this page: https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/support/articles/00272380

You'll need to manually update the TV.

profile.country.US.title
DwarfieStane
Explorer

Oh, I see - not familiar with that abbreviation. In any case, no problems so far. I haven't used it much yet obviously - just jumped around a bit and played some short snippets.

profile.country.GB.title
joepineapples901
Explorer

Yes it threw me when I saw it on the side of my box (from Richersounds).  Good to hear everything is normal after the update.

profile.country.GB.title
eddieseymour

Yep all working for me and downloaded via TV update now available.

Even got this from my dealer 🙂 via Sony.

Dear all,

I hope you & your families are staying safe on the run up to Christmas.

We are delighted to announce that the update for Sony 2021 Google TV’s to receive Catch-up services has started to rollout from Today!

I am sure that you will agree this is great news & a welcomed early Christmas present to us all, our Engineers & Service departments have worked tirelessly with all parties involved to bring this good news to us in 2021.

Please find attached the official communication from Jonathan Wild – Marketing Head Sony UK & Ireland.

Customers with Google TV models will gradually start to receive this update through the standard over-the-air update process. This is quite a difficult time of year to do updates, however Sony have managed to push ahead and start this process from today, this process will continue through until mid-January, reaching around 30% of all units. From then onwards we will speed up the rollout to more and more models until we’ve updated every single unit!

The below link will take you to a Sony website page detailing this new update - firmware version which includes the catch-up services is version 6.4304:

https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/support/articles/00272380

Enjoy everyone!

profile.country.GB.title
Crash_test
Explorer

Is there a way to use the original TV guide I had on my X90J but still use iPlayer, itv player etc? I really don't like the youview interface and would much prefer to use the one I've been using for the last few months.

I tried to open the apps but they wouldn't open until i switched to use youview.