Join now - be part of our community!

XD80 55" Whites distortion/pixellation

profile.country.GB.title
richiejazz
Explorer

XD80 55" Whites distortion/pixellation

KD-55XD8005

Can anyone tell me whats likely causing the blocks of pixellated distortion (sorry I don't know what this effect is called) in the attached pictures. Again sorry for the quality. It seems to happen occasionally on 'blown out' white or very bright skies. Its like low res clouds sometimes appear in films.

The stills are from Jason Bourne 4K BluRay and it happens in two specific places in the movie. I first noticed this on the Dunkirk disc when I was flicking though some more extreme picture settings. I seemed to 'create' it on that occasion, but in other films and programs it seems unavoidable, almost like its a fault on the disc, which I find unlikely...? However, I can't seem to pinpoint what particular settings agitate this problem. Turning contrast or brightness way down doest seem to fix it much and neither does anything else. On some things it even happens on the Cinema Pro mode which is the flat/unassisted preset.

It happens rarely but specifically in certain films, but its happened enough now to warrant concern...

Any ideas?IMG_3216.JPGIMG_3217.JPG
1 REPLY 1
profile.country.GB.title
richiejazz
Explorer

Having exhausted all settings combinations - I noticed that while comparing BluRay next to 4K bluray it only occurred on the 4K disc. It seems to be the HDR. If I go to HDR settings and turn it off - it looks awful but the problem disappears. So the the TV clearly can't cope with the high contrast in bright skies at this resolution. Pretty poor from this TV. It very distracting and noticeable.
Has no one else had this problem? Ive heard some folks criticise the HDR on this TV - not sure why but Ive found it great on streaming so far. This is bad with 4K HDR though
Normal BluRay vs. 4K Dunkirk (sorry difficult to take photos of screen!)

IMG_3341.JPGIMG_3342.JPG