Join now - be part of our community!

XR48A90K

profile.country.GB.title
rayatkinson314
Explorer

XR48A90K

I bought this tv from Curry’s in November and was delivered and set up by them. From day 2 it developed 2 intermittent faults in that it loses information from various external hard drives and information from the programme guide. I initially contacted Curry’s but was informed that I had to contact Sonys Customer Service and Support. This I did and after some time and many phone calls and emails where they couldn’t rectify the situation they authorised a repair by my local repair centre which in my case was Martin Dawes of Doncaster . After having my tv for 4 weeks they returned the tv having said that they couldn’t identify or replicate the 2 faults although at first they thought that it may require a new mother board . I bought a new external hard drive but after a few days both faults were still present . I contacted Sony Customer Services and I was back to square 1. It’s hopeless I have had to go through sending the proof of purchase etc that I had sent them last year. After numerous emails where I requested a replacement tv they  they agreed to escalate my complaint and said it would take 1 working day to get an answer . It took 6 working day and offered no resolution . They now ask that it could only be resolved by technical and saying they had no information about the repair . I had already informed them that Martin Dawes had had the tv for weeks on test but could not find any fault and didn’t actually repair anything  .This is understandable because the tv can be ok for nearly a month and sometimes goes faulty every 2 days. To get the tv back working I have to do a reset or soft restart . I sent all the information again to them and asked them to contact Martin Dawes .I think that Sony Customer Services don’t fully understand because they ask for the same information over and over again but choose not to answer questions that I have posed. Are Sony tvs covered by a genuine warranty and is it acceptable to have to regularly have to carry out a reset ?Does anyone had a similar experience and how do I raise an official complaint has to how this has been handled?

2 REPLIES 2
profile.country.GB.title
royabrown2
Hero

@rayatkinson314 

Know your consumer rights 😢

Curry’s shouldn’t have tried to fob you off, and you shouldn’t have let them. The responsibility in these cases, especially in the first six months, let alone the first two days, lies with the retailer, not the manufacturer.

You have to give them one chance to repair the TV, though, but if they, or their authorised agents, in this case Sony/Martin Dawes, can’t do that, then they have to replace it or refund you.

In cases like this, video the fault(s) on a smartphone when they are occurring, so it’s clear they are really happening, especially useful for intermittent faults.

So go back to Curry’s now, and ask for a replacement TV, and if you have any problems, mention ‘Trading Standards’ and follow through by contacting them if you get an impasse.

My favourite bedtime reading is a Sony product manual…
profile.country.GB.title
rayatkinson314
Explorer

Thanks for your help . I have sent photos of both faults when they have occurred and when I have carried out a reset and the tv is back to normal . I received an email today to ask me to be patient whilst they investigate further with the relevant department. Patient ,this has been ongoing since November 2023.