Join now - be part of our community!

'New' items on Ebay / Is Sony warranty valid ? / Ebay sellers are saying yes...

profile.country.en_GB.title
DangerMouse007
Visitor

'New' items on Ebay / Is Sony warranty valid ? / Ebay sellers are saying yes...

Hi all,

I have several Sony products and think they often stand out from other brands.

I have noticed that Sony products appear more and more on sites like Ebay, from 'Power Sellers'.

I am considering buying 'New' (unopened) Sony items (costing approx. £400) from Ebay... Ebay sellers are saying that the 1 year Sony warranties are valid on registering the product with Sony.

Can someone (from Sony?) clarify this is true  ? I believe this section is relevant from Sony...

• The purchaser presenting to Sony (either via the properly authorized Sony dealer from whom the product was purchased or by contacting Sony directly at the address stated below) the original sales invoice (indicating the date of purchase by the original end-user customer, serial number and the original dealer's name) together with the defective Equipment within the Warranty Period; and

Sellers say I will get an invoice, is this sufficient for Sony if I were to need to use the warranty ?

Thanks in advance.

1 REPLY 1
profile.country.en_GB.title
StartTheCar
Contributor

It’s a very good question, and something we contend with a fair bit in Customer Service.

The issue is not so much with Ebay or other auction sites, as a lot of retailers use them, even Sony UK from time to time.

However, in order for the product to come with a Sony guarantee it has to be new (the guarantee is not transferable) and the retailer will have to provide a VAT receipt (so the seller will have to be a VAT registered company) Paypal or similar receipts will not be enough.

If the product is new and you have a VAT receipt you will have a Sony guarantee.  If not, then I would double check with the seller; it could be they are providing the guarantee directly or not at all.

Hope this helps

Lee