Join now - be part of our community!

BDV-N590 HDMI passthrough

BDV-N590 HDMI passthrough

I have the BDV-N590 home theatre setup, which is excellent, but I am having trouble.  Does anybody know if the HDMI signal can be passed through when the system is on standby?  I don't want to have the surround sound amps all fired up just to watch normal TV, and I'm trying to avoid having to spend any money on a workaround (either an HDMI splitter, or a TOSLINK switch).  My ultimate goal is to have everything automated (using my Harmony remote) and not have to plug a cable manually from one device to another.

I have already tried it to see if it works, and nothing goes through if the system is on standby.  I was hoping I'd missed the setting, but have a feeling it just doesn't do it.

I know that it is possible on some Home Theatre setups (my Dad has a Pioneer one that will do it, so long as the connected device works with CEC/HDMI control).

Any help appreciated.

3 REPLIES 3
Harrywillis

I'm having similar problem with STR-DN840 receiver / AV amp, where HDMI Passthrough does not work. Even though I am using a Sony Bravia TV, the Bravia Sync option doesn't seem available on my TV. I suspect it's an issue with the TV and not the amp, as it worked in the store where I bought it
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

On the AV Receiver you have only two options - "Auto" and "Off" - Make sure that Pass-through is set to "Auto". 

I dont think Bravia Sync makes much difference - I could be wrong though.  Bravia Sync is the name that Sony gives to the generic HDMI-CEC functions.  Other TV manufactureres call it different (ie, Anynet+, Aquos Link, Regza Link, Viera Link, etc) - So if your TV has one of those (as each brand calls it different) try experimenting.

Cheers

Harrywillis

Passthrough set to AUTO. I suspect that the amp is cutting the signal to the TV after 20 - 30 seconds, not because of the Bravia Sync thing, but because of something in the amp's firmware. I would like the option to set HDMI Passthrough to ON, as is available on non European models. I understand that the ON option is removed on EU models for power saving rules. I feel it would be better if the customer had the choice of whether to save power or not. I would like to be able to try the ON option to see if it solves the standby problem.