Join now - be part of our community!

how do i extend the wire to the back speaker to the cinema bluray system

twizle57
Explorer

how do i extend the wire to the back speaker to the cinema bluray system

I have just set up the Sony BDV-E190 cinema blue-ray system in my lounge; the back speaker wires are not long enough.

I have been on the phone to the support team and they tell me they do not sell an extension cable and if I was to cut the wires it would void the guarantee.

I can’t believe the wires are not longer anyway, my room is not that large and the settee is close to the TV. 

Soney is a big company and should take responsibility for their products and not fob people off; I  cannot send it back now and do not have an address to write to and complain, they gave me a e-mail address, but did not have an written address.

I will not be buying any Soney products in future if they do not fix this problem, how do they get away with it.

8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

Any non-standard modifications to a product will always void your warranty, no matter what the product is.  I dont understand why you cannot return it to your retailer, however it is always advisable to research the product you wish to purchase in order to get one that suits your requirements, and hence not be disappointed.

In regards to an address to complain to, see this thread here:

http://community.sony.co.uk/t5/General-chat/Contact-details-for-complaints-dept/m-p/197743

Cheers

profile.country.it_IT.title
jan2011
Enthusiast

Hi “twizle57”
Some time ago, I had tried to find something simile for a BDV-E2100. All I found is this:

Here for original but there’s… nothing!
https://servicesales.sel.sony.com/ecom/accessories/web/index.jsp

And this:
http://www.signalsuk.co.uk/signals_shop/index.php?_a=viewProd&productId=146
http://www.signalsuk.co.uk/signals_shop/index.php?_a=viewProd&productId=131
http://www.ebay.com/itm/6c-sony-home-theater-speaker-cable-connectors-4-2-4-2mm-/220825835959

Jannis

Non mi aspetto nulla. Non temo nulla. Sono libero. - I hope for nothing. I fear nothing. I am free.   (N.K.)
twizle57
Explorer

Thankyou jan2011, my husband is going to look at those links; we live in the UK and may have to buy something in America, I appreciate your time though.

Thank you Quinnicus also for your response; I did thoroughly look at the specifications before purchasing the product, but unfortunately there were no measurements of the leads to the speakers.

I bought a Soney hi-fi unit some years ago and the wires in the speakers were easy to extend; I was expecting the wire to be longer then they are; my room is not very large and the settee is not far from the equipment it shouldn’t be unreasonable to expect it to reach either side of the settee, or at least be able to buy an extension cable, and then  to be told it would invalidate the warrantee if i did.

jan2011
Enthusiast

Hi  “twizle57”
Be careful on dimensions! (Connectors should be 4,2mm, but better be sure first!)
Anyway, if you’ll be able to find connectors without cables, I’d be grateful if you make me know where!!!!
Those on UK’s link are too expensive (6 connectors 28£!!!!!! Yeah colored but…)

Jannis

Non mi aspetto nulla. Non temo nulla. Sono libero. - I hope for nothing. I fear nothing. I am free.   (N.K.)
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think its a little more difficult that just ascertaining the connectors for new length of wire.  From what I can gather, the speaker wire has been "hard-wired" to the speakers themselves as well? 

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi twizle57,

Welcome to the Sony User Community..:smileyhappy:

Had a similar question a few years ago. SignalsUK, although they do not stock extension cables, do carry speaker cable couplers so it might be worth giving them a call to see if they can supply a new cable & coupler that is compatible with the proprietary plugs supplied with your BDV-E690.

You would have thought by now that Sony, or a third party, would stock extension cables as a compatible accessory..:smileyconfused:

jan2011
Enthusiast

Hi Thalamus
Thanks for info about “Sony Speaker Connector (Coupler) For Extension”.
But sometimes the problem are the rear speakers, when their cables must pass through pliable, flexible conduits (within a wall). In that case it’s impossible to use cables with connectors!

So, needed connectors without cables...

Jannis

profile.country.GB.title
tabaheights
Explorer

Dead simple, I went on ebay and found a seller that sells the identical plugs with cable for £9.00 each plus postage, I found that it was perfect for my purpose, plug the new cable into the rear of the unit then put the bare wires into the original speaker plug ensuring that you put + to + and - to - , then tape up the joint, if then you have to return it to Sony undo the temp connection, they will never know it has been extended!