Join now - be part of our community!

Iplayer & Lovefilm freezes when streaming on Sony BDP-S570

profile.country.en_GB.title
twofeet
Visitor

Iplayer & Lovefilm freezes when streaming on Sony BDP-S570

My Iplayer and lovefilm freezes after about 15 minutes when streaming on the blu-ray player.  Using a wireless connection, tried a wired connection and had the same problem.  My ISP is Talktalk, download speed average > 10 Megs.  My router is Netgear Wireless-N 300 Router with DSL Modem.  Lovefilm or Iplayer works fine wireless on a laptop and PC.  I have tried resetting the bluray player and have latest updates for blu-ray player.  Any ideas?

Message was edited by: -Cass-

Full name removed.

Jb777
29 REPLIES 29
Panadolque
Explorer

Is there any way the Sony UK could offer more information as to why your Blu Ray players, PS3s, etc.,  when using Talktalk do not stream correctly with BBC Iplayer and Lovefilm.  From my point of view it looks as if the stream fades away sometimes to 0.4 Mbps or less and sometime freezes. From an end users position it is difficult to figure if it is the Applications used on your devices or Talktalk's network that is at the root. What was done to cure the similar problems that your devices had with O2.

Many of the usual suspects on Talktalk's Forum say that it is not a Talktalk problem but as yet Talktalk have made no official statement as to what they think the problem is or any suggestion to why it is happening. As it has already been reported the problem devices when using Talktalk are not a problem when using other ISPs. Any help in resolving this problem from Sony would be gratefully received and bring back the pleasure of owning Sony devices. At the moment I do not think I could recommend Sony Devices if there is a chance that some of the features will not work if your are with certain ISPs.

Message was edited by: Panadolque

profile.country.GB.title
neilsyborn
Explorer

Dear All,

Can I join in please?  I have the same problem and I too use Talk Talk as my ISP.  I would like to point out that I am using a Sony BDV-N590 and a PS3 and lovefilm is behaving in the same way ie the bitrate drops to 0.5Mb.  By the way, all the other online services I've tried work well including Netflix.

I can also say that I have a non Sony Smart TV and Lovefilm works fine on it, and also on my PC.  I'm not pointing the finger at Sony or Talk Talk but there is a fault somewhere, probably a combination of factors. 

Can a Sony Rep answer these questions please?

1) Does the Lovefilm stream come via Sony servers or direct from Lovefilm?

2) What ports and protocols are in use?

If you can answer Q2 I can tell Talk Talk who can check to see if they are packet shaping on those ports and protocols which would be a start at least.

Hope to hear back soon.

Panadolque
Explorer

Come on Sony we are waiting.

The abscence of a reply would make most people think that there is a problem and Sony are reluctant to take responsibility.

No reply from your Customer Services either. So is there a problem with some of your devices??????

Please respond.

davva1
New

Hi i know this has been a while but did anyone ever get a reply from Sony? I have two Sony BluRay players and have trouble with streaming from the LoveFilm App.

LoveFilm, yet again by all accounts, have replied they are looking into this issue I wont hold by breath though. Oh yes all the other streaming services are fine no probs with Netflix etc.

Dave

Catmambo
Contributor

No known issues as far as I know - have you tried it maybe at a friends house who doesn't have TalkTalk to see if its the ISP. This will at least narrow the possibilities

erikaras
Explorer

I have the same problem but my ISP is Virginmedia. Lovefilm works fine on my computer and iPad but I can't get more than a few minutes into a film using the Bluray app before a long freeze.

My Sony Bluray player (BDPS490) was a recent purchase (actually only purchased to watch Lovefilm on the big screen) and this only happens with the Lovefilm app. iPlayer and Netflix are fine.

My first port of call was Richer Sounds who were great and exchanged the machine for the new model (BDPS4100) but the problem was unchanged.

I next called Lovefilm who were not much help. They said they would escalate and get back to me in the next few days. 10 days later I called again and was told they had been busy (grrr!)  but anyway I should speak to my ISP. I then called Virginmedia who did a reset of my equipment and said if that didn't help (it didn't!)  it was not to do with them.

I am at a loss as to what to do next other than to Ebay the Bluray player.

Catmambo
Contributor

As above - need tyo try and isoate the issue as there are too many variables. The fact that the problem remains even when you replace the device, suggests its not the device. Does it happen with Channel 5? Have you tried it on a non Virgin connection?

Thanks

erikaras
Explorer

Hi, thanks for replying and I agree about the problem of too many variables.  I haven't tried Channel 5 before, but I have put it on now (so far so good) and will report back if it goes off. Really I guess I should try this evening just to be consistent with my usual watching time.

I haven't tried with a non Virgin connection either. I'll try to find a neighbour with an HDMI TV and a conveniently situated router to try it out for me.

A bit more information. My theoretical broadband speed is very fast; 'up to 120 Mbps' and a speedtest on my computer shows that I can achieve near to this. At best on Lovefilm I've seen it at 40 to 50, but usually (for those minutes when it is working) it is much lower, in single figures or teens. Unfortunately I don't know how to get an equivalent readout on Netflix or iPlayer.

erikaras
Explorer

A quick update. Channel 5 seems fine.

Thanks

My Inlaws have an internet connected blu ray player and they have been experiencing problems with the lovefilm app too. Tonight, one film crashed 5 times. I've tried two different routers on different connections and both crashed. Has anyone contacted Sony recently about this ?