Join now - be part of our community!

Iplayer & Lovefilm freezes when streaming on Sony BDP-S570

profile.country.en_GB.title
twofeet
Visitor

Iplayer & Lovefilm freezes when streaming on Sony BDP-S570

My Iplayer and lovefilm freezes after about 15 minutes when streaming on the blu-ray player.  Using a wireless connection, tried a wired connection and had the same problem.  My ISP is Talktalk, download speed average > 10 Megs.  My router is Netgear Wireless-N 300 Router with DSL Modem.  Lovefilm or Iplayer works fine wireless on a laptop and PC.  I have tried resetting the bluray player and have latest updates for blu-ray player.  Any ideas?

Message was edited by: -Cass-

Full name removed.

Jb777
29 REPLIES 29
erikaras
Explorer

I have tried to get a response from Sony Tech support but it seems impossible. The response to an email is an automated message that the issue issue will be taken up shortly, then... nothing. After a couple of such attempts I wrote a reply complaining about the lack of response which was responded to with a poorly worded reply simply informing me that each time I write my query is relegated to the end of the queue. A further message from me asking for the contact details of the complaints department received a similar, equally poorly written reply but no contact information. Phone calls have also been useless with promises of call backs that never materialise. I have now given up!
davva1
New

hi i know this is an old issue but I have the same model Sony Blu Ray and having the same problem with streaming LoveFilm. Did you ever get a sollution, both my ISP, Lovefilm and Sony say they have not heard of this problem and all blame each other!?

Thanks

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

I REALLY REALLY feel sorry for you.  In 2012 I had a problem with Lovefilm over the Playstation (But my TV and laptop worked fine) .Lovefilm, ISP, and Sony denied its thier issue.  Many others were also affected, but not everyone at the ISP.  11 months later, my ISP TalkTalk resolved the issue, which was a backhaul routing issue between certain switches on their network.  (They never did provide a detailed explaination though, even upon request).

However back to you, considering that you have contacted various parties, am I assuming that you have ruled out issues on your end, such as a wifi issue or speed related problem?

I would also advise having a look and search around and even post on your ISP's forums and see if others are experiencing the same issues.

Hope this assists

Cheers

erikaras
Explorer

Hi there. No, I'm afraid not. I've made further attempts at getting a response (any response would do!) from Sony Tech Support but the best I manage is a difficult to decipher promise that someone will contact me which never happens. I've even resorted to sending a copy of my messages to the Sony Europe's CEO but that gets ignored too. 

May I ask who your ISP is? Mine is Virginmedia. They were better, even though they offered no resolution. I at least received a sympathetic response and a promise that they would get back to me if more information about the issue emerged. Lovefilm similarly were unable to make a suggestion about what might be the problem.

The strange thing is that this issue is raised on lots of fora but none of the suppliers acknowledges ever having heard about the problem before.

We should start a support group!

Regards

Eric

davva1
New

Hey thanks for your reply and I am pleased you finally found a solution.

My ISP is Virginmedia and I am connected direct to my Blu Ray player using
60mbps.

I purchased my player October 2013 the app for Lovefilm has never worked. My
issue has been escalated, by Lovefilm, to their technical department,
Virginmedia say my speed is fine and it's not their problem, Sony asked me
to reset my player, TWICE, and said it's not their problem. The Sony
customer service person I spoke to suggested I purchase a Samsung, as this
is what he used and he had no problem!!!!

I am at a loss, maybe I will by a Samsung Lol.

Take care
davva1
New

Hi thanks for your reply.

My ISP is Virgin Media and they have denied all responsibility, they test
the connection and say the speed is fine, I am currently on 60Mbps.

Lovefilm have escalated my issue, who to I am not sure as I have been
waiting for a response since October 2013.

Similar to you I have also had the response from Sony, Lovefilm and
Virginmedia denying any knowledge of this problem which is so frustrating. I
have told them if they use the internet and search on Google there are
hundreds of hits regarding this issue.

There was another reply to this which did have a solution, details below:

Hi there

I REALLY REALLY feel sorry for you. In 2012 I had a problem with Lovefilm
over the Playstation (But my TV and laptop worked fine) .Lovefilm, ISP, and
Sony denied its thier issue. Many others were also affected, but not
everyone at the ISP. 11 months later, my ISP TalkTalk resolved the issue,
which was a backhaul routing issue between certain switches on their
network. (They never did provide a detailed explaination though, even upon
request).

However back to you, considering that you have contacted various parties, am
I assuming that you have ruled out issues on your end, such as a wifi issue
or speed related problem?

I would also advise having a look and search around and even post on your
ISP's forums and see if others are experiencing the same issues.

Hope this assists
erikaras
Explorer

It's good that Talk Talk kept at it for that long. VM were sympathetic and
did a reset of my signal from their end but didn't seem to think it was worth investigating further.

I've sort of given up with this though I do continue to send follow up messages to Sony every couple of weeks or so reminding them that I haven't had the promised call back. What I'm most fed up about is that Sony techs keep promising action without any apparent intention to provide it. If I'd have known earlier that nothing useful was going to come from them, I would have changed it for a Samsung! Richer Sounds were willing to do that or even give me a refund at the time but too late now 😞
Anonymous
Not applicable

I still think its worth you both posting a message on the virginmedia support forums, as at this stage the common link is virgin (and the Sony Bluray player). 

erikaras
Explorer

Thank you. Actually I did that.

Here is the link:

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Up-to-120Mb-Speed/Sony-Bluray-Lovefilm-app/td-p/2080690

The final response was:

'If we find any more instances and get a fix I'll be sure to post it here for you' but that was in November.

erikaras
Explorer

Sorry, I should also have said that it doesn't seem to have been the router at fault after all (as that post suggested it might be). A further try with the BluRay player connected directly to the VM Superhub in modem mode gave the same buffering problem.