Join now - be part of our community!

Optical audio - Sky + Apple TV best configuration

Optical audio - Sky + Apple TV best configuration

Hi,

I just got the Sony BDVE4100 home cinema which accepts a single opitcal audio feed.

I want to connect both my Sky HD box and Apple TV to this. I have two ways of doing it:

1. Switch the opitcal audio feed between the Apple TV and Sky box (either manually plugging the cable into the relevant device or using a switcher) so that the device (Sky box or Apple TV) is linked directly to the home theatre.
  2. Use my TV's opitcal audio output to play whatever sound is going through the TV, whether that be the Apple TV or the Sky box.

The second way has the advantage of the feed not needing to be switched, but is there any downside to going through the TV? Loss of audio quality etc?

Is it reccomended that the device be directly connected the home cinema or does it make no difference?

Thanks,

Jamie

1 REPLY 1
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

I would use option 2.  Any loss in sound on those devices will be negligable.  And besides, these types of systems are designed to use the TV as a HDMI hub as such.  Anything more, and you would require an AV Receiver for dedicated audio processing.

Cheers