Join now - be part of our community!

RDR-HXD870 firmware update stuck: what to do???

niicko

RDR-HXD870 firmware update stuck: what to do???

Hi

I also have the 'update sticking', 'EPG knackered' and 'no live output' problems but, after managing to reset etc. and select line input to stop the update sticking each time, I tried a maybe-long-overdue firmware update to 1.70, to see if that would cure the problem.

I followed Sony's instructions to the letter but, unfortunately, after stage 1 (LOAD > DISC-DWLD) took a couple of minutes or less, and DOWNLOAD-2, DOWNLOAD-3 and DOWNLOAD-4 took not much longer, I still have DOWNLOAD-5 displayed and an open disc-drawer (and still powered on) after almost an hour!

Trouble is, Sony don't seem to give contingency-instructions unless an error is displayed - so whatever do I do now?  I don't want to take the wrong action and completely ruin the recorder (if indeed the process hasn't already done so).

Please can anybody in-the-know shed some light on this and tell me what I can do to save the unit?

54 REPLIES 54
profile.country.GB.title
Mooly01
Contributor

Please see here:

https://www.avforums.com/threads/sony-870-and-all-sony-hxd-and-some-pioneers-dvd-recorders-no-freevi...

Same recurring issue. The 'French' workaround detailed in the thread still works until this gets fixed. 

profile.country.GB.title
MellowNoma
Explorer

@ Mooly01 - I just looked at the Winter Hill TV Mast website you added on here ...

https://ukfree.tv/transmitters/tv/Winter_Hill#b1045674

Are there any planned engineering works or unexpected transmitter faults on the Winter Hill (Bolton, England) mast?

Winter Hill transmitter - Winter Hill transmitter: Possible effect on TV reception week commencing 24/06/2024 Pixelation or flickering on some or all channels 

Well . . . there's an understatement, but that's ONLY if you can now manage to access ANY Freeview DigitalUK TV channels, now that they've started their "modifications" . . . but how long will this situation be prolonged for !!

profile.country.GB.title
MellowNoma
Explorer

@Mooly01  - I just looked at the Winter Hill Mast website you mentioned . . .

https://ukfree.tv/transmitters/tv/Winter_Hill#b1045674

Are there any planned engineering works or unexpected transmitter faults on the Winter Hill (Bolton, England) mast?
> Winter Hill transmitter - Winter Hill transmitter: Possible effect on TV reception week commencing 24/06/2024

> > Pixelation or flickering on some or all channels DigitalUK

So, that's some understatement as it's already affected my TV NON-service that I now have to put up with once more. Probably many more TV watchers, especially with Sony RDR-HXD-870 or similarly affected devices that should have been catered for, seeing as they messed it all up about 2 years ago. It's like a bad TV drama that you won't be able to watch, the first was called "Peat" Season 1, now we're onto Season 2 - RePeat !!

profile.country.GB.title
Mooly01
Contributor

Its nothing to do with maintenance. You have clicked an old link.

This is what I posted a few minutes ago. Its the post above yours:

Screenshot 2024-06-27 083731.png

profile.country.GB.title
MellowNoma
Explorer

@Mooly01- I don't see how I spotted an "old link", from an active webpage for the Winter Hill mast and their scheduled updates that quotes work being carried out from 24th June 2024 - unless you call a date that refers to work starting 3 days ago as an "old link" ?