Join now - be part of our community!

Sony BDP-S490 BluRay Player

profile.country.GB.title
Damon91
Explorer

Sony BDP-S490 BluRay Player

Hi all,

I'm going to buy the Yamaha YHT-199 home cinema system very soon, Speakers with AV Receiver. I will be needing a BluRay player to go with this system, and I prefer to have one matching brands so either one of Sony or Yamaha is what I'll be buying as a BluRay player.

I've seen the Sony BDP-S490, which looks decent to me. I will mainly be using it for YouTube so it must be able to play the 'HD' videos, and also for playing big 1080p MKV files from an External USB hard drive.

So, does this player (Sony BDP-S490) play all/every MKV you have thrown at it? 1080p MKV in 2D and 3D without any problems such as lag/stutter? Will it play YouTube videos in HD? How about subtitle/chapter compatibility in MKV, does it allow you to skip chapters? Does it play subtitles if you drop it into the folder named as the MKV, must it be muxed into the MKV container?

Lastly, what is the model after this one, if this one isn't any good?

Please advise, appreciate your feedback, thanks in advance.

17 REPLIES 17
profile.country.GB.title
Damon91
Explorer

I don't mind if you PM the answer.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Done - PM Send !  :slight_smile:

Unless this post and PM disappears too !

Simon-H
Explorer

Hi guys :slight_smile:

There may be some posts that are disappearing here as something odd seems to be going on. I will flag this to the rest of the Community Team to see what is happening.

Thanks,

Simon H - Community Manager

profile.country.GB.title
Damon91
Explorer

I just realized how in the screenshot of playable formats it doesn't have DTS for MKV, weird right?
profile.country.GB.title
Damon91
Explorer

Hi again,

Thanks for the specs on 5100, 5200 and 4200.

Lastly, as I can see many for sale what is the difference between the 4100 and 4200?

I initally thought maybe they dont this so one has WiFi and other doesn't but you might be able to say.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

BDP-S4100 Specs

https://www.sony.co.uk/support/en/content/cnt-specs/BDP-S4100/list

BDP-S4200 Specs

http://www.sony.co.uk/support/en/content/cnt-specs/BDP-S4200/list

Comparing the two, the S4200 has more file codec support than the S4100.  The S4100 you can add a USB Wifi Dongle, but the S4200 you cannot.  The S4100 has 2 USB ports, S4200 has 1.

So basically there are very little differences other than what you wish to use it for.

Hope that helps.

profile.country.GB.title
Damon91
Explorer

After careful consideration, I might go for one of the S4100/S5100 models if you confirm one thing for me.

The back USB port, can I connect my External HDD to it and play movies, or is it just for Wi-Fi Dongles?

Reason being, I don't like cables hanging out the front, these two have x2 USB ports, would be useful.

Also, last comparison, do you see many/any differences between these two models? Is one just newer, or?

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

The back USB port has the same functionalities of the front one, no problem reading external HDD. regarding the difference between S5100 and S4100 is that the last doesn't have the wifi integrated (only ready via dongle). Both are the 2013 lineup.