Join now - be part of our community!

Sony BDV-N7100W - no audio via ARC from TV

andbunn12
Explorer

Sony BDV-N7100W - no audio via ARC from TV

Hi all.
I have Toshiba 37RV753B television (owned for about 3 years).
I was fortunate enough to buy myself this weekend a Sony home cinema system, the BDV-N7100W.
Excellent piece of kit for the money, but I have one issue.
I have connected the TV via ARC - HDMI1 (ARC) on the TV and HDMI OUT (ARC) on the Sony (as per the detailed instructions with both the TV and the cinema system).

The TV controls the media system/amplifier fine, switching TV speakers off, and adjusting the volume and muting on the Sony amplifier/system - BUT there is no audio. I have tried all settings on both the TV and cinemas system - it worked once, randomly, but after a switch off and on it has not worked again - I work in IT, think I am tech savvy, so this was just random, and confuses me! :slight_smile:

I have now connected the TV to the cinema system via digital optical, so the sound is now working.
BUT why is the audio via ARC not working - any ideas?

This leads on to a second question, I have connected my BT YouView box directly to the TV via HDMI, and when the Sony cinema system is on, then the audio works just fine, i.e from YouView --> TV (via HDMI Dolby digital) --> Sony cinema system (ARC control and digital optical for sound). Will this be Dolby digital on the Sony if BT YouView is transmitting Dolby digital, i.e. will the TV send this on from HDMI to digital optical (pressing display on the Sony whilst watching BBC One HD recording of Sherlock does state Dolby digital)? TV option for digital optical out is AUTO (manual suggests this would be Dolby Digital --> Dolby Digital and NOT PCM).

Thanks in anticipation for both queries - the ARC is more pressing, would be great if it just worked via a single HDMI cable.

Bunnster.

4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

ARC requires HDMI 1.4a cable for it to function correctly.  In regards to the second question - DD should be transmitted.

Cheers

andbunn12
Explorer

Thanks - I have ordered a new cable from Amazon - will see if that helps.  Unsure what version my existing cables are.  I have several, so assumed they would be this version.

Cable ordered is 1.4a, Ethernet, ARC and CEC.

Worth a go!

Thank you.

🙂

andbunn12
Explorer

New cable has made no difference, so this issue is not related to cables....

Anyone else got any ideas?

Thanks,

Bunnster

🙂

Anonymous
Not applicable

Have a look at the TV's settings, I read somewhere before that sometimes when you replace a HDMI lead, some settings have to be re-done?  I can only think its a settings issue somewhere - as all equipment has ARC support.  Did you set the TV speakers to Amplifier?  Have you set the N7100 function (or input source) to "TV"