Join now - be part of our community!

STR DN 1040 Not showing in Home Network!

SOLVED
profile.country.GB.title
MK_Slinky
Contributor

STR DN 1040 Not showing in Home Network!

I'm in need of a little help getting my STR DN 1040 to show up in my home network please.

I've followed the instructions on page 62 (GB Manual) Windows 7 PC but to no avail, it just never shows.

My receiver is connected by a network cable.

Any help appreciated thanks.

The User Manual is your friend..., seek forth and ye shall find answers. Can't find any? Join the club, we have all the answers here, occasionally they're even right! :wink: Dr.Slinky McVelvet - Inventor of the word 'Mellifluous' - 30.12.14
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey there

MK_Slinky wrote:

Good to hear from you, I knew I could count on you for advice! :slight_smile:

Im always around somewhere - unless im not around anywhere :slight_smile:

MK_Slinky wrote:

If it helps I selected 'Auto' setup of my Network during the initial setup procedure however a connection to the network was established successfully.

Considering that you have established a connection (and can stream successfully via your WDTV), therefore the AV Receiver is on the network.  However I would still advise fixing an IP address to it, as it will be a perminant device and can cause less hassles in the long run - especially when setting up DLNA servers.  See your next question below:

MK_Slinky wrote:

It's been a while since I've done anything like this, can you elaborate on how I go about using a fixed IP address please? Where do I obtain the information to input into the various fields? ie: “Subnet Mask”, “Default Gateway”, “Primary DNS” and “Secondary DNS”.

There are 2 steps here (1 - Gathering information, 2 - Redoing the settings)

1. Go into Settings > Network > Information - this then gives you the current network settings.  Write them down on a piece of paper (ie Current IP Address, Subnet Mask, DNS, Default Gateway etc.  Return Out of the information and back to main Network Settings Area

2. Go into "Internet Settings" in the Network area - Choose "Wired" (I think you said that you have a network cable connected", Next choose "Manual" instead of "Auto" > Then all you do is input the network settings that you wrote down.  In regards to IP Address, change the last number to something higher like 100.  (eg, if the original IP address was 192.168.1.5, change it to say 192.158.1.100) 
    Also see page 42 of the manual for details.

MK_Slinky wrote:

Additional information which may be useful, I was able to see my router listed under the home network device list on the receiver but not my PC. Likewise I cannot see my receiver listed in my Network devices on my PC

This is normal - the DN1040 is what is called a DLNA Client (or renderer), you need a DLNA Server in the form of another device or software on your computer to access it.  So it probably wont show up on your network devices. Page 59 of the manual may explain it a little more.  More details in your next question below:

MK_Slinky wrote:

Also I have yet to experiment with WMP12, I prefer iTunes as my media player.  I was rather hoping I could access my music without using WMP. Maybe I misunderstand this units functionality?

If / once you got WMP12 working correctly, I think WMP12 acts like a rudimentry DLNA server.  However I think it has one handy feature > "Play to" so you can send the music from your PC/laptop to the DN1040 using "play to". 

Your WDTV Streaming device is a DLNA server and should work with no issues. 

However if you want to stream music from your PC/Laptop, and DONT want to use WMP12, you can install other DLNA server programs, such as Homestream : HERE, which should work very similar to WMP12 (without the "play-to" feature though).

iTunes - This is where my knowledge lacks unfortunately (sorry I hate apple) - Reading page 72 of the manual, it states that you can stream from your iTunes library via a PC - However it must be down Wirelessly and not connected via a network cable, as it uses Airplay. 

However, I have had a little search around and have found a program called iHomeServer.  It appears as though it is an iTunes DLNA Server (so I guess you could use that instead of Homestream as stated above).

http://www.bizmodeller.com/iHomeServer/

Its not free, but there is a trial version.  Cant hurt to try, right?  Have a look at it anyhow, and see if it does what you want.  There might be other programs around too, who knows.

MK_Slinky wrote:

Is it possible to stream an MP3 file directly to this unit? If your answer is a definitive no and WMP12 is my only option I'll forget this idea. I can stream MP3's no trouble using my attached WDTV Live Streaming Media Player instead.

Yes you can, as above, you need to install a DLNA Server on your PC/Laptop to do so.

MK_Slinky wrote:

Sorry for so many questions.

I love questions - but get annoyed at myself if I cant answer them ( LOL ) :slight_smile:

Hopefully this helps you and explains things a little clearer.

Good Luck and have fun :thumbsup:

View solution in original post

19 REPLIES 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

Lets just take it from the start first:

• Can you ensure that you have connected the AV Reveiver to the network correctly (p42 and 96 manual) - Personally I would recommend giving it a fixed IP address instead of going down the DHCP route.  I would then assume you get a message saying "Successfully connected to the network" in those lines.
  • On your PC, drop to a command prompt and 'ping' the AV Receiver by typing in "ping 192.168.0.1"   (Replace IP Address with whatever you have given it).  If you get a reply, at least you can 'see' it on your network.  If not....We will have to do something else.

I am also assuming that you are using Windows Media Player 12 - follow the instructions again (p62) and remember to do a Server Refresh

Cheers

profile.country.GB.title
MK_Slinky
Contributor

Hi chap,

It's late and my receiver is off now so I will follow up your advice tomorrow.

If it helps I selected 'Auto' setup of my Network during the initial setup procedure however a connection to the network was established successfully.

It's been a while since I've done anything like this, can you elaborate on how I go about using a fixed IP address please? Where do I obtain the information to input into the various fields? ie: “Subnet Mask”, “Default Gateway”, “Primary DNS” and “Secondary DNS”.

Additional information which may be useful, I was able to see my router listed under the home network device list on the receiver but not my PC. Likewise I cannot see my receiver listed in my Network devices on my PC

Also I have yet to experiment with WMP12, I prefer iTunes as my media player.  I was rather hoping I could access my music without using WMP. Maybe I misunderstand this units functionality?

Is it possible to stream an MP3 file directly to this unit? If your answer is a definitive no and WMP12 is my only option I'll forget this idea. I can stream MP3's no trouble using my attached WDTV Live Streaming Media Player instead.

The User Manual is your friend..., seek forth and ye shall find answers. Can't find any? Join the club, we have all the answers here, occasionally they're even right! :wink: Dr.Slinky McVelvet - Inventor of the word 'Mellifluous' - 30.12.14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey there

MK_Slinky wrote:

Im always around somewhere - unless im not around anywhere :slight_smile:

MK_Slinky wrote:

Considering that you have established a connection (and can stream successfully via your WDTV), therefore the AV Receiver is on the network.  However I would still advise fixing an IP address to it, as it will be a perminant device and can cause less hassles in the long run - especially when setting up DLNA servers.  See your next question below:

MK_Slinky wrote:

There are 2 steps here (1 - Gathering information, 2 - Redoing the settings)

1. Go into Settings > Network > Information - this then gives you the current network settings.  Write them down on a piece of paper (ie Current IP Address, Subnet Mask, DNS, Default Gateway etc.  Return Out of the information and back to main Network Settings Area

2. Go into "Internet Settings" in the Network area - Choose "Wired" (I think you said that you have a network cable connected", Next choose "Manual" instead of "Auto" > Then all you do is input the network settings that you wrote down.  In regards to IP Address, change the last number to something higher like 100.  (eg, if the original IP address was 192.168.1.5, change it to say 192.158.1.100) 
    Also see page 42 of the manual for details.

MK_Slinky wrote:

This is normal - the DN1040 is what is called a DLNA Client (or renderer), you need a DLNA Server in the form of another device or software on your computer to access it.  So it probably wont show up on your network devices. Page 59 of the manual may explain it a little more.  More details in your next question below:

MK_Slinky wrote:

If / once you got WMP12 working correctly, I think WMP12 acts like a rudimentry DLNA server.  However I think it has one handy feature > "Play to" so you can send the music from your PC/laptop to the DN1040 using "play to". 

Your WDTV Streaming device is a DLNA server and should work with no issues. 

However if you want to stream music from your PC/Laptop, and DONT want to use WMP12, you can install other DLNA server programs, such as Homestream : HERE, which should work very similar to WMP12 (without the "play-to" feature though).

iTunes - This is where my knowledge lacks unfortunately (sorry I hate apple) - Reading page 72 of the manual, it states that you can stream from your iTunes library via a PC - However it must be down Wirelessly and not connected via a network cable, as it uses Airplay. 

However, I have had a little search around and have found a program called iHomeServer.  It appears as though it is an iTunes DLNA Server (so I guess you could use that instead of Homestream as stated above).

http://www.bizmodeller.com/iHomeServer/

Its not free, but there is a trial version.  Cant hurt to try, right?  Have a look at it anyhow, and see if it does what you want.  There might be other programs around too, who knows.

MK_Slinky wrote:

Yes you can, as above, you need to install a DLNA Server on your PC/Laptop to do so.

MK_Slinky wrote:

I love questions - but get annoyed at myself if I cant answer them ( LOL ) :slight_smile:

Hopefully this helps you and explains things a little clearer.

Good Luck and have fun :thumbsup:

profile.country.GB.title
MK_Slinky
Contributor

Hi ya Quinnicus, I'm itching to know where that name comes from, I must ask about this one day!

Thanks so much for all the valuable advice, really I don't know where to begin, so many exciting things for me to try here!

Just to clarify this statement you made:

Considering that you have established a connection (and can stream successfully via your WDTV), therefore the AV Receiver is on the network.

I'm not sure if you understood me correctly or perhaps I just didn't explain it very well so here goes...

My WDTV LIve Streaming Media Player is connected via a wireless connection to my PC. I stream Music,Movies & Photos directly to the WDTV Live unit which is then output through my STR DN 1040 receiver like any other video feed.

therefore the AV Receiver is on the network. I can do this even if the receiver is not on the network since all streaming is done directly to the WDTV Live.

Back to business..., I guess with all the advice this may take some experimenting on my part so don't be offended if this post lies dormant for a few days.

Right now I'm going to setup a fixed IP address and see where I go from there. It seems our roles are reversed on the Apple issue, personally I hate Microsoft. Last time I used WMP it made a right mess of my music folder, changed track names, applied incorrect cover art and so on. I'm talking several years ago now so maybe things have improved. For me though you cannot beat iTunes for managing your music library, especially if you do as I do and manage it manually.

No doubt my next step following the fixed IP address will be to investigate 'iHomeServer', oh what choices, you spoil me so! :wink:

Incidentally did you know you can log into your receiver via a web browser? Just type it's IP address into a web browser and it will show you some useful info about Network configuration.

Thanks for clarifying whether I can stream MP3 directly from my PC, oh lucky days!

You deserve another lucky star for your input here, oh heck why not 2 for good measure! :clap: :clap:

I'll keep you posted,

Cheers buddy! :wink:

Anonymous
Not applicable

@MK_Slinky wrote:

Hi ya Quinnicus, I'm itching to know where that name comes from, I must ask about this one day!

My alias comes from a much more boring source - High School Science teacher.  Just added 'icus' to my last name, so...  And its stuck ever since   :slight_smile:

@MK_Slinky wrote:

I'm not sure if you understood me correctly or perhaps I just didn't explain it very well so here goes...

Your quite right, I mis-read it :slight_smile:  I actually do the same thing, but with another branded media player.  Sorry for the confusions - at least your on the ball !!

Oh and yes, I hate WMP too.  My setup is this -  I have a network media player with 10TB of HDDs attached.  I then have the media player connected to my AV receiver (STR-DH820 - non-network capable) and play my music/vids that way.   I use a program called "Tag Scanner" to sort it all out in a logical order.  My TV is also on at the same time too, but can listen to music and watch the cricket at the same time.

Didnt know you could input the ip address of the DN1040 on a web-browser - handy tip to know.

HAHA - Love the double stars

Have fun !!

profile.country.GB.title
MK_Slinky
Contributor

LOL.., think I'll call you 'ICUS' from now on! I laughed at the spell checker, not only can it not spell English words the alternatives for Quinnicus are worth a read. If you're into cricket 'Innings' sounds more appropriate!

Just switched my laptop on so I can follow your instructions in front of my TV, oh god has it really been two months since I last used it?!! Flipping Windows Updates! We're getting there slowly. 😞

Yes you can log into your receiver as well most likely. I discovered this with the WDTV Live SMP originally although the benefits of doing so on that device are much more rewarding. Doing so allows customization of the standard WD Themes plus updating the firmware. I believe checking for updated firmware was also an option on this receiver.

It's also possible to control the WD through IP commands, hmm.., wonder if that's possible here too? Sony make a Android APP which presumably functions through the use of IP commands.

You can watch cricket and listen to music at the same time, I thought it was only women who could multi task! Is there no end to your talents?

Catch you later aligator. :slight_smile:

Anonymous
Not applicable

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Now thats funny !!

profile.country.GB.title
MK_Slinky
Contributor

Okay so I have a dumb question, how do I input single figures into my IP address (Manual Option)

The input screen shows 000.000.000.000 I want to input something similar to this: 192.168.1.102

Am I missing something in your original post?

Anonymous
Not applicable

No, not missing something.

Im assuming that you are talking about the '1' - Use the arrows on the remote control (Up, Down, Left, Right), enter '1' and then arrow Right?