Join now - be part of our community!

KDL40HX800 - I want to add my own internet pages and content?

profile.country.fr_FR.title
Liam1969
Visitor

KDL40HX800 - I want to add my own internet pages and content?

I bought a Sony KDL40HX800 recently and now have it on the wall and plumbed in to the satellite. I also bought the USB dongle to access internet - this was a key factor in buying such a high spec tv.

Looking at the internet features I find the default channels too limited and I want to add some internet content such as the BBC or F365 for example. However, I can find no way of doing this and the manual doesn't help either.

I'm hoping that I haven't been missold this tv as I can't imagine being tied to YouTube as my main source of internet browsing.

Does anyone know how to configure the web browser and link to other channels at will?

Many thanks

6 REPLIES 6
profile.country.en_GB.title
Catmambo
Contributor

Hi Liam

You should have access to iPlayer, Five, Lovefilm etc on the device already, but bear in mind 2010 devices such as your model has no Internet browser so you don't have access to the open Internet. 

The list of available video services continues to grow and we should hopefully have more services going live over the coming months.

Hope this helps

Liam1969
Visitor

Thank you for the quick reply Catmambo.

So I have basically been missold this tv - which certainly wasn't sold as a 2010 model. I clearly told the seller I wanted to access internet.

I am looking to freely access websites that I would otherwise open my (Sony VAIO) laptop to use. Is there any way to update the firmware or is it now a question of having to return the unit to the store where I bought it? This was the only Sony model they had in the size we wanted.

Catmambo
Contributor

Hi Liam

Bear in mind that this TV can access the Internet, but its a walled garden rather than open access. Most of the 2011 TV's have Opera browser pre-installed, but bear in mind that codec support is very limited ( no flash) so not all pages open. Navigation via a remote control or even a smart phone is not as easy as using a mouse on a PC.

Open web browsing on a TV is not a fully rounded experience compared to PCs today as this is a very new feature and the same goes for most manufactures devices. If you really want the full open Internet experience, its probably easier to simply connect a PC/PS3 to your TV and do it that way..

thanks

Liam1969
Visitor

Thank you for the quick reply.

I can accept to remote access the screen for internet as long as I can put some distance in front of me to appreciate the screen size.   Are there any simple tools to do this between a VAIO and a Bravia or are we talking about using HDMI cables. Wireless would be great if possible.

By the way, due to the proximity of the wall bracket to the wall (sold to us in store with the tv) none of the sockets and plugs on the back on the tv are accessible - I tried a Scart and could not get the tv back on the brackets. We are using the USB dongle and 2 HDMI plugs on the left side.

Catmambo
Contributor

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Q-Waves-Wireless-USB-HDMI-Extender/dp/B002RL9F38

Maybe - no personal experience so don't take it as a recommendation, but something like this.

Sounds like the bracket isn't deep enough. Maybe return it and pick one up online. Amazon has some decent ones at good prices, which review well.

thanks

Liam1969
Visitor

Excellent. Looks just the job so I will order that from Amazon.

For the HDMI cable issue I have found some 90 degree extenders also on Amazon and will try that out.

Many thanks.