Join now - be part of our community!

About usb 3.0

profile.country.en_GB.title
Visitor

About usb 3.0

My pc is sony VPCSB series with one 3.0 usb port, today i bought a 3.0 flash memory but the speed is totally the same as 2.0,,, what's the problem???Thanks for answering,

2 REPLIES 2
profile.country.GB.title
strocks
New

I've a new Vaio S.

My USB 3.0 device is not working at all if I connect it to blue USB 3.0 port.

If I connect to USB 2.0 port, it works but the speed is low.

This is some Sony general problem, non-working hardware...

The suppor replies with some stupid suggestions...

profile.country.de_BE.title
stephanius
Visitor

Regarding speed, the question is: what for a device are you connecting exactly?

Just like with the introduction of Hi-Speed USB with the USB revision 2.0, you find devices that are marked 'USB 3.0' but don't actually support SuperSpeed USB or don't benefit from it. Because the 3.0 standard includes all legacy devices, you can call all USB devices ever made 'USB 3.0 compatible'. That's not something you'll find VAIO Specifications do, but it's a problem with many USB devices you can find on the market.

Assuming the device has a true SuperSpeed supporting USB interface, it may be too slow to derive any benefit from that. Flash memory comes in different speeds. From slow (SD cards) to lightning fast (3rd generation SSDs). A SuperSpeed USB SD card reader would make no sense. A mechanical hard drive might or might not be able to use the full speed of a SuperSpeed connection. My externally powered 3.5" hard drive does about 80MB/s, which is nice, but not the maximal speed.

Lastly, SuperSpeed USB requires SuperSpeed cables. Hi-Speed mode didn't require new cables, but SuperSpeed does. If you use legacy cables, you won't get SuperSpeed mode to work.