Join now - be part of our community!

Can access router but not internet and have run out of ideas

profile.country.en_GB.title
imajica_m
Visitor

Can access router but not internet and have run out of ideas

I do hope someody can help me as my head hurts and my bum is now permanently molded into the shape of this chair.  Not good.

I have an old Sony Vaio PCG-VX71P, running Windows XP Pro, which has previously been connected to various wireless networks at other people's houses without any issues.  I get wireless in our own house for the first time and the damned thing WILL connect to the wireless network great but NOT the internet.  I have another netbook in the house that is having no problems whatsoever.

I tried resetting the TCP/IP stack even though I don't know what that means.

I have reset the wireless network to no avail.

I tried to search for new drivers for my orinoco mini pci card but I can't seem to find any suitable.

I've done some other things that involve changing settings that I also don't really understand.

Eventually out of desperation I restored all the factory settings on the laptop with the recovery disks which has been brilliant - I can now not access the internet much faster than I couldn't access it before.

Any suggestions other than throwing the whole thing out of the window and jumping up and down on it?  It is snowy outside so i'd rather not do this.

Any ideas, sympathy, or even pity, gratefully received.

2 REPLIES 2
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

If it works OK in other houses, it looks like there is a problem with your wireless router.  What WiFi standards does it support?  Does it support and is it set to 802.11b @11 Mbps?

As new drivers are apparently not available for your elderly WiFi card, why not try a cheap Wireless card that will fit in your PC Slot.  Plenty of choice here: -

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_0_16?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=pc+wireless+card...

:thinking:

profile.country.en_GB.title
billcole
Visitor

I had something similar once and it turned out to be the DNS settings. This is like the "telephone directory" that the machine uses to look up the number of the site you're trying to got to, so could explain why you can connect to the router but not to any websites. Good Luck

http://www.mediacollege.com/computer/network/dns.html

Good Luck