Join now - be part of our community!

DVI output from port replicator not working

profile.country.en_GB.title
Zantroplets
Visitor

DVI output from port replicator not working

I've just bought a Dell 2711 monitor to connect to my VPC-Z11C5E laptop.

The monitor will only work via the VGA output which is hopeless given the 2560x1440 screen of the Dell. Using the DVI-D output of the port replicator, the Dell remains unfound in Windows 7 Display Options.

I have checked that the DVI input of the Dell functions using another computer, and have tried another monitor which also does not appear in the Display Options if connected to the DVI-D socket.

There does not seem to be anything to help going via the nVidia software either. It just seems as though the DVI socket is not  doing anything although the Dell appears to realise that something is connected giving the message "There is no signal coming from your computer" which is different from the messages if an unconnected input socket is selected on the monitor.

I have checked that the cables are correct, and tried alternative cables so know this is also not the problem.

Any ideas welcome.

Mike

Tags (3)
2 REPLIES 2
profile.country.de_BE.title
stephanius
Visitor

Hello Zantroplets,

is the graphics switch set to SPEED or AUTO?

Are you still using the originally preinstalled operating system?

I ask because the Z has two graphics cards, and for many models with such a setup DVI and HDMI output is only supported via the NVIDIA chipset.

profile.country.en_GB.title
Zantroplets
Visitor

Hi Stephanius,

Yes it's set on Auto, so should be OK.

However, following advice from Sony Support, I disabled the nVidia driver and rebooted. Now the nVidia doesn't load at all and I have error 31 against the driver. And of course the Dynamic Graphics System doesn't operate.

Thanks Sony. Start off with one problem and they make it worse!

I haven't yet resolved the error 31....

They also told me the nVidia won't support 2560x1440 although the nVidia website seems to suggest it will support up to 2560x1600. If Sony are right I might as well send the new monitor back now.