Join now - be part of our community!

F11Z1E Noise & Fan Problems

LGarlando
Visitor

F11Z1E Noise & Fan Problems

Hi, I have a VPCF11Z1E/BI but have a problem with a high pitch noise coming from the keyboard area and the cooling fan seems to be running all the time. I have the latest Windows and Sony updates. Is there a fix for the high pitch noise yet and is it normal for the cooling fan to be running so much?

6 REPLIES 6
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Sony has released an announcement that there are some thermal management issues with the F11 and CW2 models and they have released an important BIOS Update R0280Y6 to address this specific problem.

Important Notification from Sony for the VAIO® F11 and CW2 Series owners....

Dear Valued Sony VAIO Customer,

Sony takes pride in the quality of its products.

Recently, we became aware of a potential issue affecting certain notebooks within the VAIO VPCF11- and VPCCW2-series, available on the market in Europe since January 2010.

In rare cases, these notebook computers can overheat due to a potential malfunction of the internal temperature management system.

If you own a VAIO notebook with model name VPCF11 or VPCCW2 , Sony recommends that you download and install a BIOS firmware update specifically designed to prevent the potential overheating.

You can download this BIOS Update from the downloads page for your model.

BIOS UPDATE R0280Y6

:wink:

LGarlando
Visitor

I have that BIOS installed - I don't know if thats what is causing the fan to run all the time... What about the high pitch noise - I heard a lot of people complain about it, is there no fix for it?

loki971
Visitor

Hi
maybe something went into your heatsink and it's causing the noise by hitting the fan. Grab a compressed air can and blow inside the heatsink. Be careful, because if there's a big chunk inside the heatsink you can damage the fan or the CPU (IF there's anything inside the heatsink)

profile.country.ro_RO.title
cutaliviu
Visitor

I have the last bios, i cleaned the radiator and the fan ( also the pipe surface with isopropil alcohool, i used the arctic silver5 3,5g termotransfer paste, AND THE FAN IS STILL RUNNING ALL THE TIME.  WTF???

I do not complain about the temperatures, because are ok. But is a software or something a  trick to low the speed of the fun, or a silencer or replacement for this fun?

profile.country.fi_FI.title
Akith.
Visitor

Hi,

I wonder if you have the same issue I was having back when I first got this laptop. It was also a high pitch that came form around the keyboard. I resulted with the problem with these changes in the computers settings:

Go to the "Controlpanel", and from there find the "Equipment and sound", from there you go to "Sound". Or a shortcut here by pressing the right mouse button on the speaker image on the down right side of the screen. From the "Sound" settings you go to the page "Recording", choose "Properties" with the right mouse button on the microphone. Then go to the page "Listen", put a mark on the "listen to this.." and choose "Digital output" on the box below.

That solved the pitching noice on my laptop. Hopefully it helps you also!

profile.country.ro_RO.title
cutaliviu
Visitor

Clearly is not a software problem, or a setting. It is the fun noise certainly. So what i whant to know now is if someone found a way to kill that sound. I am sure now it is a design problem, doesen't affect performance but is affecting my ear. So someone found a quiet replacement? SONY, do you have one???