Join now - be part of our community!

No firewire socket!

profile.country.en_GB.title
jpab100
New

No firewire socket!

I bought a new vaio and assumed it would have a firewire socket, as I alo have a sony video recorder PC1000E (six years old) that uses DV tapes and a firewire cable. It looks like a firewire to USB cannot work. Does anyone know how I cn solve this.issue, as I have a load of DV tapes of my family to store.

Thanks in advance for any helpp

JPAB100

5 REPLIES 5
profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi jpab100,

Is the suggestion made by Blencogo in this thread of any help?

https://www.sony.co.uk/discussions/thread/160493?tstart=400

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
jpab100
New

Dear Rich,

Thanks for reading the query. Unfortunately, it's not the software. My replacement Vaio has no i-lead / firewire socket. It's the lack of physical connection causing the problem.

Cheers

J

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi J,

I realised that it was not a software problem - did you read Blencogo's post in that thread?

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
jpab100
New

Dear Rich,

I am very sorry I assumed you had not completely understood my problem, when in fact I had not read fully the note from Blencogo. I read the first para and then assumed the rest was related to software. I now get the picture. (Not literally, of course).

I am fortunate, in that I can potentially get my previous laptop back for a few days. This has the i-lead socket, so I can then put all the tapes onto DVD's.

I can't quite believe sony has just dumped the i-lead connection, as the method of going to analogue and back to digital to preserve the tapes does not sound very inviting.

This also means, because I have spent a load more money on a new laptop, I now have to buy a new video recorder.

Very frustrating. Thank you very much for pointing me in the right direction, in any event.

Best J

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

You're welcome J.

I'm afraid that most manufacturers have now abandoned firewire ports along with Express card slots. At least with an Express Card Slot you would have been able to fit an adaptor to provide firewire.

Such is progress - or is it the power of accountants...

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat