Join now - be part of our community!

Pre-installed software

profile.country.en_GB.title
longjon23
Visitor

Pre-installed software

Hello all, I am looking to buy a new Vaio and am considering purchasing some pre-installed software, namely MSOffice pro and Photoshop Elements. I have a couple of questions on this..

As I will not own the media (CD's, etc) and am not downloading any files from a specific site, how can I re-install the software if:

a) my hard-drive melts

b) I need to re-install the O/S and/or rebuild the machine

c) the Office install corrupts, or for some reason requires additional files

d) I buy a new laptop in a couple of years and want to transfer it over to the new one

Thanks for your help

Jon

3 REPLIES 3
aleksmir
New

Hey Jon, great choice on considering a Vaio. Pre-installed software can be convenient, but you've got valid concerns. Here's my take:

a) In case your hard drive decides to go on vacation, fear not. Manufacturers usually provide a recovery partition or a system image that lets you restore your system to its factory settings. Make sure to check if your Vaio comes with such features.

b) If you need to reinstall the OS or rebuild your machine, having a backup of your important data is crucial. For software like MS Office and Photoshop Elements, you can usually redownload them from the official websites using your product keys.

c) Corrupted Office install? Happens to the best of us. Microsoft's official website often provides tools to troubleshoot and repair Office installations. Follow their guides, and you should be back on track.

d) When upgrading to a new laptop, the software licenses might be transferable. Check the terms and conditions or contact the software providers for guidance.

Personal tip: Keep a record of your product keys and any associated accounts – it'll save you headaches down the road. Happy computing!

profile.country.IT.title
Marino.Manolo
Genius

A Space-Time travel? 🤔

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi aleksmir,

welcome to the Sony User Community..

Thanks for your input but there really isn’t any point in replying to posts that are years old and I suspect, after 11 years, Jon has replaced his Vaio and has probably moved over to an Apple MacBook Pro..