Join now - be part of our community!

vaio fz graphic failure

profile.country.en_GB.title
androber0
Explorer

vaio fz graphic failure

hi. i have the vaio vgn-fz31z notebook which is now two years old. it is never used for gaming as that would put too much strain on the system and besides i have a ps3 for that task.

over the first year the battery and hard drive failed and were replaced by sony. annoying as this was to an expensive laptop by a good brand name i found the service really superb.

but yesterday the screen went blank.there is one long bleep followed by two small bleeps. the laptop is booting up ok but the graphic card is dead. i tried plugging it in to the tv via the hdmi but no signal at all.

has anyone on this site had the same problems out of warranty and if so how much will it cost for repair? can i replace the part myself at all?

i miss my laptop!!!

8 REPLIES 8
profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi theevilemp,

welcome to club VAIO.. :slight_smile:

I can't say for sure if this is the cause of your problem but Sony released a statement confirming that some Vaio models can have distorted video, random characters or blank screen issues due to failure of the NVIDIA graphics chip.

The models concerned are as follows..

VGN-FZ11x, VGN-FZ18x, VGN-FZ21x, VGN-FZ31x, VGN-FZ38x
VGN-AR11x, VGN-AR21x, VGN-AR31x
VGN-C1Zx, VGN-C2Zx
VGC-LM1xx, VGC-LM2xx
VGC-LT1xx, VGC-LT2xx

I suggest you contact Vaio support, use the following link to find the contact details: Sony Vaio Support

Under Log-in option 2: Select your VAIO model, next to Select Model Category - Select your model from the drop down list, in your case VGN FZ.

Then next to Select Model - select FZ31Z

Then click Log-In

Once logged select Get In Touch

Click on the following link to read the Sony announcement: Distorted video, random characters or blank screen issues due to failure of the NVIDIA graphics chip OR if that does not work try this link: Distorted video, etc. due to failure of the NVIDIA graphics chip

androber0
Explorer

thanks for the help. have e-mailed them but they wont say if it is covered so i will assume that it isnt.
the graphic card is a nvidia GeForce 8600M GS GPU with 256MB. i was wondering if this can be replaced with an upgrade and has it an mxm interface? would it be possible to replace it with a more up to date card?

fraheato
Explorer

I have a Viao VGN FZ21Z which is approximately 2.5 years old. The PC screen became scrambled, with fuzzy zigzags and distortions. We suspected graphics card failure.

The good news is that when phoning Sony they sent a DHL driver the next day to collect the PC, saying that if the graphics card proved faulty, they would replace free of charge. Graphics cards are apparently covered for 4 years.

The PC was returned within the 5 days promised by Sony, completely repaired free of charge. Their delivery note stated that the motherboard had been replaced. If it hadn't been the graphics card which was causing the problem, it would have cost £55 for the PC to be returned.

Extremely good service from Sony. Superb customer service.

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Thanks for sharing blue10, I'll forward your comment on so that Sony support personnel are aware.. :slight_smile:

fraheato
Explorer

Thanks thalamus.

Have had very little trouble with Sony Vaios.

The only problems were when installing Windows 7 on the VGN PC, I couldn't find the correct drivers for the volume button and brightness functions. Not being techy, I couldn't understand the Sony Support pages.

My husband is now using the repaired Vaio and I purchased my fourth Vaio - model VPCF12S1E. I found the VGN PC handier for armchair surfing though.

Best wishes :slight_smile:

androber0
Explorer

thanks for that post blue10. was thinking about getting it fixed locally but have decided to take the chance and send it off to sony.

am pretty sure it is the graphics card but i installed windows 7 a few months ago so do you have any idea if this would affect the warranty on the hardware side of it?

fraheato
Explorer

Sorry for the delay replying, have been on holiday.

I don't think that installing Windows 7 affects the warranty as I had installed this programme on my PC, and the laptop was still repaired under warranty.

Have you contacted Sony regarding the problem?

Wondering how you had got on.

Best wishes

Samevea
Visitor

After looking at many similar threads like this I decided here would be a good place to start, my Laptop's (VGN-FZ290) graphics also failed.

I have read several times that sony will pay the cost of repair within 4 years of purchase.  My only problem is that I bought my Laptop abroad in the USA, and I live in the UK where this model is not available, after contacting Sony via email they said:

"Although select VAIO systems may have been sold with an optional

International Service Warranty plan from SonyStyle, unless you 
purchased this option, we do not offer warranty service for your 
notebook outside our U.S. service locations. However, for all 
warranty service issues (including those covered under the 
optional International Service plan, troubleshooting by phone 
is a necessary and required first step in obtaining parts or service."

Sureley living abroad shouldn't matter as long as I am willing to pay the shipping costs?  Does anyone have any ideas or knowledge about this?? 

Any help on this would be much appreciated.