Join now - be part of our community!

VAIO Notebook from the United States, hard drive almost dead

profile.country.en_GB.title
lolker
Visitor

VAIO Notebook from the United States, hard drive almost dead

Hello there,

My VAIO Notebook from the United States has recently started dying and the cause was specifically the hard drive. I now reside in the United Kingdom. I do qualify for international warranty, I had purchased the VAIO around late June, with the manufacture date sticker stating March 2010.

I now receive the SMART Hard Drive error, indicating that I should backup all important data as the drive will be dead soon. It no longer boots up, however the VAIO logo still appears as normal.

I had contacted Sony EU support only to have never got a good response.

The first time I had tried, they had informed me that they would give me a call later on in the evening, which I had never received. The second time they said they were going through some sort of maintenance update and for me to try again tomorrow. I tried just now and an auto message informed that they are not currently taking calls.

I now am completely lost and have no idea where to turn to...

Thank you

3 REPLIES 3
VAIOboi
Visitor

If you can get it back to a friendly US address that would be cheapest for you, they'll deal with it in warranty pretty quick.

There are a bunch of VAIO Repair firms in the UK now.  The list is here http://support.vaio.sony.eu/computing/vaio/contacts/asc.aspx?l=en_GB&m=VPCZ11Z9R_B They could give you a quote.  But it will smart a bit, spesh as you have warranty, just on another Continent...

If you have a VAIO with an easily accesible HDD, and the US option really isn't viable, and you have recovery discs*, you could always look online for a suitable SATA HDD...

*If you didn't make any don't worry, contact the US Support and they should be able to sell you a set.

:slight_smile:

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

If you have a valid International Warranty, your case should be dealt with by Vaio Support in Europe.

Clearly, you have not received the assistance you should and if you send me a PM with your Vaio's Serial number and Support Case Number (if you got one), I will escalate the matter with Sony for you.  If you don't have an open case number, please give me some contact details to give to Sony.

:neutral:

iguyuk
Visitor

i have the same issue , my laptop is around 6 months bought it from US its a VPCEA36FM , its harddisk has slowed down and it takes windows 2 Hrs to boot and diag fails on disk test, Windows took 42 hrs to reinstall , i checked the serial number on Western Digital (WD) website and they would not support the warranty either . is there any way Sony would replace the drives ?