Join now - be part of our community!

Vaio update not updating

profile.country.en_GB.title
jugaugh
Visitor

Vaio update not updating

I am using Vaio Update version 5.4.1.04200. Upon checking for updates it come up with the following message...

A new version of VAIO Update is available. VAIO Update cannot be used unless it is updated. Update now?

I click yes, then the icon in the system tray shows it is downloading the update but then after around 1 minute it stops and nothing happens. So, until this is fixed i cannot use VAIO Update.

Any solutions or a direct download link to download the latest version?

If it makes difference my model number is VGN-AW41MF

Thanks.

95 REPLIES 95
PeterB65
Visitor

Well, once I had downloaded and installed VAIO Care the only option after selecting recovery was to recover a system restore point.  Nothing about applications or drivers.

Tried a system restore point and it failed saying it can't access (guess what?) The VAIO Update file!!  So the system is screwed if I really need to recover and I won't bring myself to trust the ASSIST Button.

I give up and next time I'll buy a Dell.  I've never known such appalling support.

PeterB (MCSE & Retired Ex Microsoft Software Engineer)

Robert.Lee.Jones
Visitor

As suggested in Rich's blog, I disabled my virus software and successfully reinstalled my origina VAIO Update (Version 5.0.0.[something]), but only after uninstalling my current VAIO Update (Version 5.4.1.04200) as required before the reinstallation of the original version could be completed.  After restarting my computer, the same message appeared as before:

A new version of VAIO Update is available.  VAIO Update cannot be used unless it is updated.  Update now?

I clicked "yes" and VAIO Update successfully installed VAIO Update Version 5.1.1.08120.  After restarting my computer, the same message appeared as before.

A new version of VAIO Update is available.  VAIO Update cannot be used unless it is updated. Update now?

I clicked "yes," but VAIO Update was not successful this time.  Same problem, but now my VAIO Update Version is not the same and is older than previously installed.

I don't see how doing a full system recovery will do anything different than that above as it will start with the original VAIO Update (Version 5.0.0. [something]) as above and everything that happened above should follow.  Also, I find this approach too scary.

I hope this is helpful.

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi Robert.Lee.Jones,

I can fully understand your reluctance to carry out a full system recovery, especially taking into account the time required subsequently to restore all personal data and third party software, and more importantly that this problem is not of your making.

Unfortunately given Support’s statement - “Again, the above is basic before being able to get more into detail.” - It will require one of you to take the plunge before Support will investigate further.

Make of that what you will....

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
jogreer31
Explorer

After getting fed up trying to get vaio up-date working I've re-installed it back to version 3. Trouble now is I get an error message (ID 0008) stating that server unable to find my model of notebook. I've had this before when the support site informed me that my model doesn't exist. Be carefull that this may happen if you try the same. Perhaps the 'life form' that is Sony may eventually realise they are not as good as they think, and when they admit this to themselves  then some progress with their products might be forthcoming.                    

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi mjk43wr,

Thanks for getting back.

I have no idea what difference it makes if the unit is CTO (Customise To Order) other than the install may be rejected if the serial number is unrecognised. You would have thought that if Sony is selling CTO models this should have been taken into consideration....

I will escalate this once more in the hope that someone will contact you with either a phone number and contact details or an email address for reply.

I also agree that a full recovery is an unacceptable solution.

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
mjk43wr
Visitor

It is not accurate of Sony to say  that "mjk43wr has failed to respond to both phone calls and emails from Vaio Link". I had a garbled and almost unintelligible answerphone message about two weeks ago which I am guessing came from Sony. The message gave a reference number but no details of how I could return the call. That's not much use. I also had an email on the same day saying Walid of Sony had phoned me but again with no details of how to return the contact and from a "noreply" email address.

I had a satisfaction survey from Sony on Friday of last week 25 November and this actually had as its signature the name and email address of the General Manager of Sony Europe. So I emailed him immediately to say that I was dissatisfied. I have today had an email from someone else at Sony referring to my complaint and promising to call me within 24 hours. Again this is from a "noreply" email address. Hopefully, I shall hear shortly. If not, I'll keep emailing this General Manager until I do get some help.

As to the steps above, I had already tried disabling anti-virus and reinstalling Vaio update as it explains. No joy. Still the same error message. I would not contemplate a full system recovery - a suggestion which is the refuge of a lazy support desk.

If I do hear from Sony with anything worth relaying to other forum members, I shall of course post a further reply to this string.

I note that the instruction above also says "The update should work for all models, but  of course there is a possibility one lacks (there is a serial number  verification). in this example, we speak of a CTO model which comes with  a non-standard 8-digit code so it could happen a particular one is  missing out."

I do not understand what this is meant to mean. If it could be explained to me, I'll happily try whatever action is suggested along these lines.

Thank you to Rich for his persistence and interest and to all fellow members posting on this thread.

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi mjk43wr,

I understand that Vaio-Link will be in contact with you.

Support claim that there was a link contained in the email sent after the voice message that would “guide you to support numbers”. Can you confirm this?

If it is not the case can you please send me a copy of the email via PM.

Thanks,

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
mjk43wr
Visitor

Radwan from the Chief Executive's Office just called.

I confirmed which steps I had tried and also advised him that it was unreasonable for Sony to expect a system reload. He is going to try to replicate the error and then email to me some more trouble-shooting steps.I shall keep the forum posted with what is suggested and the results achieved.

We have two email addresses in play with Sony as this Vaio is my wife's laptop and on this forum and on registration, I used her email address. The email which they sent to her in October did have a number to call at the foot of the email, although it is 0870 which is premium rate.

When the steps did not work, I tried to go for email support and I did so using my email address. That is what prompted the unintelligible call and also the email to which I referred above. That email had no phone numbers, was from a "noreply" address and merely had a link to the general Sony support page.

Regards

Michael

mjk43wr
Visitor

Radwan called again and ran me through what I had done before: turning off virus scan and firewall and then trying to install the latest Viao Update file from the Sony website. He was hopeful because a new Vaio Update for this laptop had been designed only last week. That did not work either.

I do not have time until the weekend but I have agreed to unistall McAfee and then try to run the Vaio Update from the exe file which I have saved to my desktop and then reinstall McAfee. I shall update the forum after trying that.

Meanwhile, are any of the other forum members who have been experiencing this problem using McAfee as their antivirus and firewall software ?

Thanks

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi mjk43wr,

Although the problem I had with Vaio Update magically resolved itself after a few days I do not use McAfee and never have done.

Also MsMalfie and goldbox reported that they removed McAfee some while ago. There is a removal tool available that may be worth exploring to ensure that all traces of the program are cleaned.

http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?id=TS100507

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat