Join now - be part of our community!

Why does the wireless on VPC-F12MOE/B17 notebook keep disconnecting?

profile.country.en_GB.title
ro88ox
Visitor

Why does the wireless on VPC-F12MOE/B17 notebook keep disconnecting?

When I try to copy a lot of data from another networked device to my new Vaio VPC-F12MOE/17 the connection randomly disconnects and also kills the wireless for all other wireless connected devices.

Then the only way to make wireless connections possible again is to restart the router - a BT homehub 2 (Type A).  I've another latop with another type of Intel 802AGN card installed and this connection never drops!  Can someone help - this is driving me nuts!

6 REPLIES 6
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

I think you have an Intel 6200 WiFi card.  Check this in Device Manager and if so you may want to try the updated drivers Version 13.3.0.0 on the Intel website here:

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/SearchResult.aspx?lang=eng&ProductFamily=Wireless+Networking&Product...

At your own risk of course!!!

:thinking:

ro88ox
Visitor

Thanks a lot for the advice Blencogo.  I do have the  6200 Wifi card and the driver version is 13.2.1.5 from 31/5/10.  I'll download the one you suggested and give it a try.  Watch this space!

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Let's hope so!!!

The other thing you can try is go to Device Manager -> Network Adapters -> Intel WiFi Card and right-click on the card and choose Properties.  If there is a Power Management Tab, click on it and uncheck the box next to "Allow This Computer to turn off this device to save Power"

:wink:

ro88ox
Visitor

OK, done that too.  Interestingly, since I updated the driver noticed in addition to the 6200AGN adapter two more network adapters have appeared in Device Manager: "Microsoft Virtual WiFi Miniport Adapter" and "Microsoft Virtual WiFi Miniport Adapter #2."  Any idea what these are and/or should they be there?

Anway, thanks again and I'll kick-off a good size data transfer and see what happens - fingers crossed!

profile.country.en_SK.title
shamruth
Visitor

Get the latest driver version 13.4.0.0 from intel support portal and this should be resolved...

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/SearchResult.aspx?lang=eng&ProductFamily=Wireless+Networking&Product...

Shaili Mruthyunjayappa

Message was edited by: shamruth

profile.country.en_SK.title
shamruth
Visitor

Interestingly, if you go to your device manager and try driver update you'll be notified that you already have the latest driver... just ignore and go straight to the intel support portal.