Join now - be part of our community!

Wife's Vaio also unable to create recovery media

profile.country.en_GB.title
theartfullodger
Visitor

Wife's Vaio also unable to create recovery media

Wife picked up new VPCEF3E1E yesterday.

Setup machine today for her, all very nice.

Came to creating recovery media (I started in IT over 35 years ago so am well versed in hardware being known to go "phut").  Wouldn't do it.  4 times.  With & without "verify".

Very like..

http://http://www.sony-europe.com/discussions/message/630057

Windows Update & Vaio update both clean, all updates applied.

Using new Verbatim DVD-Rs.  Used same ones with last 2 weeks to create recovery media for an HP machine satisfactorily.

DVD driver works on the laptop (both read & write, I tried it).

Suggest Sony kindly advise me how to fix, at no cost to me or the wife, this probelm or send us revoery media - also at no cost to us.

Happy new year to all my readers...

Artul

3 REPLIES 3
tomkytes
Visitor

Hi Artul, I had the same problem a couple of days ago using DVD-R 8x 4.7 GB disks, however, bought some cheep disks from Asda DVD+R 4.7 GB 16 x and these worked fine.

profile.country.GB.title
jumpsuit
Expert

Is there no way we could tempt you to try another brand

even if its a cheap one?

Vaios seem strangely tempremental at times writing to certain makes although

verbatim do usually hit the spot.

Is the Vaio burning everything else fine?

theartfullodger
Visitor

Sorted, for an odd reason...

The laptop happily reads & writes all makes of DVDs I've tried so far...and did so before & after fixing my problem...

But, clutching at straws I took off all the non-supplied-by-Sony Software on the beast - OpenOffice, SuperAntiSpyware, Antir-Vir antivrus (all free.. ) just-in-case....

And then it worked, 2 sets of recovery media created, thanks, mixture of makes of DVDs  including Verbatim.

Put back AntiVir - wouldn't work.. So - anyone else having problemds?? Try taking Antivirus off 1st -  Thanks for the suggestions guys anyway!

Oh, and why free AntiVirus etc?? Well I never could abide McAfee, dislike paying for SW (I myself am pretty much 100% Linux - Ubuntu for my own Laptop, Android for my 'phone)... but the wife uses Windoze....

Cheers all!

Artful

PS And on my own laptop running dual-boot Windoze/Ubuntu the Ubuntu environment is noticeable quicker & slicker... others may hold differing views....

Message was edited by: theartfullodger

Message was edited by: theartfullodger