Join now - be part of our community!

XZ2 Compact issues Android 10 - Requesting official Sony response

JS87
Visitor

XZ2 Compact issues Android 10 - Requesting official Sony response

Hi folks,

I’m looking to see if anyone’s having the same experience as me since Sony updated the Xperia XZ2 Compact to Android 10 (52.1.A.0.532 on 14th Jan).

My phone took an instant critical hit and has been really struggling ever since. The general feel is that it’s now very slow and buggy, but here’s a list of some things that have only appeared since that update:

1. The camera app keep crashing. It usually initialises, but will either take 5/6 lag seconds to take a photo and crash, or the app crashes after a few photos are taken.

2. The screen is less responsive. This manifests in having to tap more times than is necessary when selecting, incorrect words being typed, or not being typed, when entering text, and more annoyingly:

3. The entry screen where I enter my PIN must be swiped upward from the bottom. This used to be a brief swipe upward, but now the animation jumps between 10-60% of the way up then fails and falls back down. Cue lots of swiping, and over-exaggerated swiped upward, to try and simple get to the PIN entry. This is one of the most annoying things.

4. My Sony USB C to 3.5mm headphone jack connector has started to fail detection.
    “Could not restart USB device auto-detection. Ensure that the USB port is completely dry or the USB device is not damaged”
    This has rendered my headphones useless. I begin to play music on Spotify, then this message appears and music playback stops. Totally unusable.

5. My microphone volume is barely audible in 3rd-party apps. Again, totally unusable. If I record a voice clip in WhatsApp, or try to record audio in n-Track 9, there is next to no gain and I cannot hear what I’ve recorded.

6. My microphone seems to be failing on calls. Going by feedback, if I don’t speak loudly right into the front of the phone my microphone does not pick up clearly. i.e. I cannot hold the phone from my face and go on loudspeaker, because the mic shuts off.
    This really heavily points to a problem with microphone gain and sensitivity.

7. Apps crash, where they did not crash before. Opening many apps at once shouldn’t, and didn’t, previously affect this phone. With moderate usage it’s probable that something is going to crash. Spotify frequently crashes on me.

8. “SIM card not detected” randomly, requiring a restart.

9. The battery life has taken a hit of around 10-20% per day.

Now, any jump up in version has its problems, and I accept that. But having worked in similar device areas where we pushed out firmware updates to millions of users, it’s all hands on deck. This was not a success, but I’ve been waiting now for 6 weeks for a hot-fix or some follow-up upgrade to fix all the apparent memory leaks, but it hasn’t happened.

I’m actually at the stage where I want to sell this phone and switch from Sony devices, but I couldn’t conscionably sell this phone to another person knowing how affected it is.

Is anyone else having problems and is there any plan to address them?

Can we have an official Sony response detailing when they're patching this up? 

Thanks

12 REPLIES 12
profile.country.NL.title
Strampke
Expert

Hi @ROBYER1 

As @CosmicTomato has already mentioned in another thread you are persistent and did check everything.

However did you check this as well?

profile.country.GB.title
ROBYER1

Hey @Strampke good suggestion, unfortunately I already checked that, Android 10 doesn't seem to have battery saver mode any more. There is stamina mode which I have off always and adaptive battery which I have tried turning off and also excepting Google app from when it is on.

I software repaired and factory reset my phone a few days ago for Sony support and Hey Google voice match wasn't working after that with the phone running the way it is when you first unbox it 😞

profile.country.NL.title
Strampke
Expert

I'm afraid my suggestion was not good. 😒

I have Adaptive battery switched on and even then OK Google obeys my commands.

Screenshot_20201128-130246.png