Join now - be part of our community!

why do you insist on curved display corners

profile.country.SE.title
zzcool
Explorer

why do you insist on curved display corners

this is something that baffles me, why the scurved corners, it distorts images and videos isn't the new xperia line for filmmaking? why couldn't you just make the corners digital like you did with the z1 just add black corners and let people be able to disable them if they want, i sent the xperia 1 back because i could not stand those curved corners of the screen, is it too much to ask for a fully square flat screen today?

14 REPLIES 14
profile.country.GB.title
RottenFoxBreath
Enthusiast

Image Distortion...I totally do NOT get that, the corners are miniscule, you hardly notice they are curved, IMO.

profile.country.GB.title
Gilgameshuk
Contributor

I actually love the curved corners-lends a more modern look -instead one from the 1980's

Gilgamesh the first ONE and ONLY King
profile.country.GB.title
Jon.Hidden-Coley

Totally agree with RottenFoxBreath, there is zero image distortion with having rounded corners and they are tiny compared to many other smartphones, I certainly wouldn't go as far as sending the phone back because of it!

Out of curiosity, which phone did you end up replacing the Xperia 1 with that has straight corners?

pressefr
Contributor

After applying a 3D curved screen protector and a protective case around my Xperia 1. I honestly haven't noticed any distortion.

There totally other things that bother me; I wished Sony would fixed...

There are other things that bother me about watching a videos:

Notifications while watching a movie

• I get notifications while watching a movie
  • auto-rotation kicks in sometimes when I'm moving around.
  • Which this should be an Xperia Actions feature 'Movie Mode' (I wish, please please bring back Xperia Actions.)
TohnoYukine
Visitor

It is just bad design to have curved corners. What attracts me most in Sony is that it looks professional. But everything goes wrong since xz2. Tons of other manufacturers make phones with round corners and notched screens, like Samsung, Huawei and Apple. Why would I prefer Sony over those brands if it loses its dignity?

I just do not care what amazing film editing softwares or high definition screens a phone has. I have a computer, and a 26-inch 1080p monitor. Who would seek an immersing movie experience on a phone? Who would edit videos on a phone? Those features does not have much to do with daily uses. One quickly loses intersts.

I just want a phone, which has a 3.5mm headphone jack, a large battery over 4000mAh, an internal memory over 256GB and RAM over 6GB, and a good design. I do not care the phone is as slim as a card or something. Just put a large battery inside it. A portable charger is way heavier than a heavy phone. Is that such big an ask?

Please, Sony, make believe.

profile.country.GB.title
RottenFoxBreath
Enthusiast

I had a reply typed, but to be honest, a facepalm and shaking my head to reading your post is more apt.

I would suggest you go and buy a tablet, and Nokia 3330 if you don't need smartphone features.

Many people don't have access to pc's so will use phones for movies, and editing, I do, when travelling or on downtime at work, or in bed.

But the death of the 3.5mm socket...good, it's about time.

a decent mini DAC does a great job, and with advances in Bluetooth audio technology, it will be a thing of the past soon enough.

Larger battery, not always a great thing, it's only as good as it's management, and some of the top manufacturers need large batteries because their battery management is very poorly optimised.

And 6Gb or more of RAM, again, management is key, I mean why have say 8GB if you have 4 spare at all times, for instance, as free RAM is wasted RAM.

optimisation and management is key.

nolanchrist007
Visitor

A curved display has this effect because its shape subtly creates more depth within the screen, providing a more immersive session whether you’re travelling through time, heading into space, or leaping into a terrifying war zone.

It is true for curved monitors and TVs. It just feels amazing and I like it. 

profile.country.SE.title
zzcool
Explorer

replaced it with the note 10+ allthough the note 10+ does have both curved corners and a curved display i was able to disable all that by using an app i designed that adds black bars at the top and bottom making the screen square and flat, the note 10+ is closer to xperia than the xperia 1DSC_4316 (1).JPG

profile.country.GB.title
RottenFoxBreath
Enthusiast

Ah, nothing like fixing the problem by removing screen estate.

But for the life of me, I can't remember where it said Xperia phones must come with curved corners as stock.

I think the bggest laugh on the Samsung phones is the cameras, who wants a hole punch camera nowadays, even if it is semi hidden.