Join now - be part of our community!

why do you insist on curved display corners

profile.country.SE.title
zzcool
Explorer

why do you insist on curved display corners

this is something that baffles me, why the scurved corners, it distorts images and videos isn't the new xperia line for filmmaking? why couldn't you just make the corners digital like you did with the z1 just add black corners and let people be able to disable them if they want, i sent the xperia 1 back because i could not stand those curved corners of the screen, is it too much to ask for a fully square flat screen today?

14 REPLIES 14
azzido
Enthusiast

I like the curved corners more since it is not making holes in my pants as straight and sharp edges does.

I hope they will stay with rounded corners as now.

profile.country.GB.title
Jon.Hidden-Coley

@ZZCOOL wrote:

replaced it with the note 10+ allthough the note 10+ does have both curved corners and a curved display i was able to disable all that by using an app i designed that adds black bars at the top and bottom making the screen square and flat, the note 10+ is closer to xperia than the xperia 1

So, if you replaced the Xperia with a phone that has the same curved corners and curved display prompting you to design an app making the screen square and flat.....  why didn't you just do that with the Xperia 1?

profile.country.GB.title
Lord_viridis
Expert

@ZZCOOL wrote:

replaced it with the note 10+ allthough the note 10+ does have both curved corners and a curved display i was able to disable all that by using an app i designed that adds black bars at the top and bottom making the screen square and flat, the note 10+ is closer to xperia than the xperia 1DSC_4316 (1).JPG

Wait... Firstly on Xperia 1, all of the oled display is within the flat portion of the screen, there is no colour distortion like seen on the xz3 or .....

Secondly you replaced it with a phone that's display is extremely curved to the point colour is terribly distorted along the curve?

I mean fair play and all you like what you like, but be warned that in about 4 months that note10 display value is gonna be dropped through the floor from the difference in colour where those blacked out areas are.

TohnoYukine
Visitor

By management and optimization, you mean a dead battery after 5 hours heavy usage and killed background apps if you open more than 4 or 5 apps the same time?

I live in China, where Google service is unavailable and many apps have background services for message, which consume lots of RAM. 6GB RAM maybe enough for light users, but definitely not enough for heavy users who wants a fluent experience. Also 128GB internal storage is not enough if you store movies and music in your phone. You may argue that you can use a 512GB TF card, but then you cannot use dual SIM.

The headphone jack, may not be essential to some people, but is definitely required by most people. The bluetooth is unstable and slow. I have Sony bluetooth headphones, but the connection status is never satisfying, and you have to charge it from time to time. Sony do have LDAC technology, but under LDAC the connection status goes worse. Nothing is more relyable than the headphone jack, which has existed for tens of years and will stay there for at least another ten years.

You may defend Sony, but consumers make their own decisions. Xperia is losing its uniqueness which distinguish itself from other brands.

As a former Xperia fan, I just want to tell what I expect from the next Xperia, larger battery, RAM and internal storage, a headphone jack, a good camera, and a nice to look industrial design.

profile.country.NL.title
Strampke
Expert

I had the opprtunity to hold the device in my hands at IFA.

Whatever you say or think of it, for me the format is perfect.