Join now - be part of our community!

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

NickCo1979

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

I thought I'd create a generic thread to cover off the issues being encountered on the 2015 Bravia Android TVs. I've listed my issues below with fixes / workarounds and responses from support. All comments and solutions welcome!

1) Hot Swap HDMI doesn't work - manifested by no input on HDMI channels 2, 3 and 4 on the KD-49X8305C. Workaround - reset the TV, either by holding down the remote power button for 5 seconds or by switching the TV off at the wall and then back on again. Further details on this thread: https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/kd-49x8305c-hdmi-2-3-4-inputs-not-working/td-p/1944435

2) HDD Recording doesn't work - error message states a system update is required but none is available when checking. Hopefully this will be fixed soon by a firmware update.

3) Netflix App doesn't work - this seems like the app has been deliberately disabled. So far a support case has only recommended that a factory reset be performed (took two days to get to that cracking piece of advice.....), with no improvement as a result. A temporary (albeit for advanced users only) workaround is provided by MikeLothian on this thread - https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/netflix-support-for-kd55x8509c-android-tv/td-p/1945360 

4) Sound lag and performance issues after the TV (KD-49X8305C) has been on standby for a while - manifested for me as stuttering and sound / picture sync issues in all apps (youtube, amazon instant video etc) and HDMI sources (PS4, seperate YouView box etc). Hopefully this will be fixed in a firmware update, at the moment workarounds involve either changing channels to get the sync to work or in my case having to turn the TV off and then on again at the socket.

As stated previously, all comments welcome. Personally I'm willing to give Sony a couple of weeks to fix this, but if it's not done soon I'll be sending my new TV back for a refund as it's not really fit for purpose.

6,373 REPLIES 6,373
cozzykim

This is another good reason why the TV is NOT fit for purpose, part of the description is that it will be a games platform, even describing it as a very capable platform by implication by the inclusion of 'Playstation Now', associating the TV with a well known fast gaming device.

If it has the limited CPU and RAM that Aida64 reports, then it most certainly can not be described this way.

I've always resisted buying a 'smart' TV, because the chances were that the hardware would NOT be up to date and capable of running the OS and apps at a reasonable rate.

When I saw this TV, I (wrongly) assumed that it would have the hardware to keep up with the demands of the OS and applications. It patently does NOT, and I may well return it to JL before or on the last day of my return period as UFfP.

I'm not going to hang onto another damp squib like the TF101.

Sony have made a huge error of judgement with this underpowered and underdeveloped machine, and the fact that they are quashing uncomplimentary reviews is adding insult to injury, we are not buying their products to act as suckers or beta testers.

It's about time that someone at Sony decided to 'man up' and admit to their faulty strategy with this TV range, and make their plans for REPAIRING THE DAMAGE TO THEIR REPUTATION a lot more open.

It's outrageous.

The fact, that an expensive device like this - runs an older mid-range
dual-core processor, REALLY ***** me off!??
I really cant see how Android 5.1.1 will fix this underpowered problem....
profile.country.GB.title
Shalendran

@Dark-vash

Hi

I have a W85C but i have noticed a different problem. I connect all my devices through my Denon amplifier and home theatre set. When the TV is in terrestrial or satellite mode ( Tv has both inputs) and when i switch on an external device connected to the Denon amplifier both sounds comes from the home theatre system. I therefore think it is a problem with the HDMI function rather than ARC. The picture does not change automatically to the newly connected device. It is not a problem with the HDMI cable since the previous SONY TV was working perfectly. If a connected device is switched off my previous TV (HX823) would automatically switch over to the next available signal.

Ezhan1

BTW I have an 2010 Sony TV and there is a sceen option to fit 4:3 chanel to 16:9 complerring lower part of the screen. It is the best way to fit old style chanels into new format, but in the new TV there is no such option, just zoom in. Since when Sony removed the lower part compressed option?

Twobins

I also received the email asking me to review the set, but received notification today that my review had been rejected. I had praised the picture quality but criticised the os and the delay in providing the advertised features. Sony only wants to feature five star reviews and their vetting of the reviews is dishonest, especially when they invited the review in the first place.

profile.country.GB.title
montydj
Explorer

GOT MY MONEY BACK!

daknigh36
Explorer

My 55X93 is going back tomorrow too, whilst the picture was great the Android OS is just so horrible and the total inconsistency of the way it all works together with an annoying audio glitch was just too much.

buying a Samsung instead.

elraouk

Still waiting for my refund, at least Sony's delay tactics is giving me time to decide what to replace it with. 
Looking at samsung, lg and Panasonic.  Freesat and plex are important to me, so samsung is probably the way I'll end up going. 
andrewsoong

I'm struggling to find what TV to replace mine with. I want a 43" or at least 42" and preferably a decent spec "dumb" TV.

I'd rather all the smart features come from a box like a Nexus Player or a Fire HD. At least then you get the smart features running on decent hardware.

The CPU in the 2015 Sony TVs are pretty much useless and that's at release. Imagine how it will be a couple years down the line.

Anyone got any other TV suggestions with that in mind?

cozzykim